Hazard lights going overtime randomly!

so odd occasion Ive got in the car and figured I’d caught the hazard light switch... fast forward to today, found my scuttle panel full of goldfish (not really but it could have supported a few!) and carpets inside a bit damp, when I first picked up the car the rear windows misted like a good un strangely, figured out why I reckon, I suspect I have some moisture in my uch, worth a check for bizarre behaviour, don’t think it’s the hazard switch for one second, I drained the scuttle to a degree, but I will be removing the plastic panel and cutting the grommets down to an inch or so long so they don’t get blocked up! And also whipping the uch out and giving it a thorough drying to reduce chances of damage occurring down the line due to corrosion! Windscreen wiper motor was also under water to a degree, but I reckon that’s designed to take a bit of moisture from where it’s fitted!

So I’ve had the wet vac in, pulled a big chunk of foam out from the front passenger side floor (carpet untucks very easily revealing foam that comes out in seconds)

Wet vac’d the foam, carpet, floor and also made a couple of holes in a grommet and drained it into a tub while jacking up the back right corner, reckon I had a good 4-5 litres under the carpet in the foam! :flushed:

Luckily uch was bone dry, suspect there’s some canbus cabling in the plug on the pass floor in a big plug that was submerged and it was effecting the lights/alarm wiring somehow perhaps...

I had the same problem in my old 197. Seals on my windows had gone, so I think water may have been coming in from there. But same result, water under passenger seat caused hazards to turn on by themselves.

Reactions: Dumdum
From 12 years as a mechanic...

Windows don’t generally have seals, (not to water getting in anyway in a waterproof manner, stop most of it is more like) doors are designed to be a wet environment and have liners/plastic sheets fixed in with a sealant of some kind and drain holes at the bottom

and the scuttle panel fills with water if drains are blocked to a level above the heater inlet and it drains past the splashproof seal that’s not designed to be immersed, it’s very rare for a door seal to leak unless big chunks are missing in just the right places... I’d suspect your scuttle panel over door entry unless it had a dodgy window motor repair or something... I’ve seen a few where someone’s fixed a central locking motor and left the ‘shower curtain’ as we used to call it off afterwards... fast forward to a world of hurt

Odd occasion there will be design faults on cars like the old 206 where water would run through various grommets and the like because of water trap areas and into the bsi, or 206cc’s would leak like a seive if the doors and roof weren’t set up perfectly along with many cabriolets...

Sometimes I’ve had dodgy repairs where panels haven’t been sealed properly or a fair few windscreens without enough sealant in the odd place (fairy liquid and water with a blow gun is great for finding these... spot the bubbles!!) or the screen wasn’t primed up well enough...

As I wrote my reply I thought: Actually it probably was the scuttle tray which I hadn't checked... I'd just noticed the seal between the door and the rear window had split all the way down. It's also just happened on my current 197, those seals don't last long.

As I wrote my reply I thought: Actually it probably was the scuttle tray which I hadn't checked... I'd just noticed the seal between the door and the rear window had split all the way down. It's also just happened on my current 197, those seals don't last long.
the rear window to door seal isn't for waterproofing anyway so defo not that, only the seal around the door aperture is a moisture seal to the inside :thumb: