Harry's Lap Timer

M

Mentalpen

I know technically this should be in the mobile phone section but it relates directly to track days and before anyone asks NO I DO NOT GET ANY MONEY FROM THIS!

Anyway, today finally we saw the releases of V.17 of Harrys Laptimer by apple (coming to android later this year).

So for those with it there as been a MAJOR! upgrade, firstly there are now 3 versions, rookie (formally timer), petrol head (formally pro) and now a GP version.

regardless of if you have the new rookie or petrol head version harry has yet again given additional features totally free! and depending on your version has some new epic features such as picture in picture with a new multicam feature including experimental support for GoPro hero3 & 2+BacPac, increased obd support, icloud support and a whole host of other bits and pieces.

GP upgrade price is just £6.88 for the uk and even if you don't need the features it would be great to support the development even further by its purchase. For those that have been using it for some time will know just how far this app has come with no price increase and has to be a essential addition to anyone doing trackdays.

v17.png

Migration_v17.png

That's so good, I just clicked update the other day and hadn't checked what had changed. Now I know. Can't wait to use it

I've just upgraded I have no idea hw to get it to work though never have do you know MP

Just how to use it would be great :smile: or how to record and overlay then export I find the product god but the interface terrible I even struggled to upgrade from pro to the next on gp is it ? Could be so much easier to use

Just how to use it would be great :smile: or how to record and overlay then export I find the product god but the interface terrible I even struggled to upgrade from pro to the next on gp is it ? Could be so much easier to use

Totally agree mate, it took me ages to find the video I recorded and I've still got no idea how to do the overlay.

I'd love to know :lol:

Totally agree mate, it took me ages to find the video I recorded and I've still got no idea how to do the overlay.

I'd love to know :lol:

It seems a shame however it does seem typical of application created by tech people so submerged in it they live and breath it but forget the rest don't shame as I have no paid lots of cash for the app it is brill no doubt but need some help :smile:

ok i'll do a write up for you all later. as it won't be quick.

sure but it will take a few hours so i'll try do it tomorrow or tonight when the kids aren't here.

Basic video walk through

open HLT and hit the more tab, vehicle list then edit (top left) add add new and input the following fields.

dzh0le.png

15n3o6x.png

347k41l.png

ok so now click tracks tab

r2osac.png

type England in the search to filter tracks

2z9gxgw.png

and select a track in this example brands indi curcuit

and then load it

2lm9d0j.png

the track set will load up

xlyrft.png

ngvdyc.png

and will open with a google map view + the track set POI's

11aeiqf.png

now going to the lap list tab you will see the track set

2qan0u8.png

now go to the racer view ( i have set in the tab menu which you can alter by going to the more tab and clicking edit in the top right and drop and dragging into the tab bar)

2zyxu82.png

click video

mount and click ok to calibrate

25yytu9.png

Now just go out on track and when you pass a go trigger or a stop/go trigger in a poi track set it will automatically start recording but remember your phone must be placed in a position to receive satellite signals unless you use a 3rd party satellite receiver.

*****NOTE satellite signal strength via green bars at the top*****
2zflh7l.png

now the next bit is a bit tricky as i don't have any saved laps but go back to the lap list and pretend i have been out on track and lest use the unspecified lap

357rims.png

clicking the lap and scrolling down

ogi0x3.png

2jg5k68.png

35lroz6.png

Click on overlay (i can't actually do it as i have no lap data) then add the options you want. Intro adds a small user defined amount of time to the beginning of the video and with countdown on it will put a countdown to the lap start, sector and lap close in a small semi transparent timer. The same with extro but adds a small user defined section after the close of the lap.

this will obviously not be available on the first lap unless you have manually started video recording as it will record the point you started recording to the go/ stop/go trigger (finish line)

POI/Speed inserts adds corner/straight information as well as speed.

data and timing is self explanatory i would have thought.

odb data will require a compatible obd reader or a jailbroken device and un signed/supported reader.

you then simple click overlay and the app does the rest and transfers it to your photo library.

Example of a finished video

[YOUTUBE]327qP5Tyfy4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I shall write up how to create a poi set (your own track) so you can make a track round your block to test and experiment with.

How to create a basic poi set (track)

In this example we will set up a track round the block with a stop/go trigger (finish line that starts & stops timing/video automatically), 4 corners and 2 splits (sectors)

Ok click more tab then map, you will see a small cross hairs bottom right, tap it to stop centre map location allowing you to move the map round without it springing back to your current location.

IMG_0774.png

Now go to where you wish to place the stop go trigger and zoom in on that location

IMG_0775.png

tapping the flag top right will bring up the following page. ***Noting*** the type set to trigger.

IMG_0776.png

Tap the edit top right and then add new track

IMG_0778.png

type the track description, in this example i've named it Track Test Set

IMG_0777.png

now hit poi set that will be set as unspecified at this point

IMG_0776.png

and hit the track set name you wish to associate the current poi to, in this case test track set

IMG_0779.png

Now press description

IMG_0837.png

and describe it in this case as Stop Go and save (top right)

IMG_0780.png

scroll down and hit direction

IMG_0798.png

you need to now add the direction of travel in degrees, in this case 55o and save

IMG_0781.png

now click map at the bottom to see the current poi and note the direction now lines up with the road

IMG_0782.png

we now need to move to our next poi on the map, in this case it will be a right turn

IMG_0783.png

and zoom in to set the poi

IMG_0784.png

top the flag as before top left to place it and name it in this case Turn 1 and then save

IMG_0785.png

associate it with the track set

IMG_0786.png

so it will now look like this

IMG_0788.png

go to the trigger type (currently set to stop go) and tap it

IMG_0789.png

and change it by tapping it to information with it being a corner

IMG_0790.png

it will now alter to look like this

IMG_0791.png

going to map we can now see the first two poi's

IMG_0793.png

now scroll to the next poi placement and zoom in again and hitting the flag again to set the poi placement

IMG_0794.png

name it and save

IMG_0795.png

associate it with the track set

IMG_0796.png

IMG_0797.png

scroll down to change the trigger type

IMG_0798.png

and set it as info

IMG_0799.png

click map

IMG_0800.png

and scroll and zoom for the next poi and hit the flag to set its placement

IMG_0801.png

This time we will set a split up and name it accordingly

IMG_0802.png

associate it with the poi set

IMG_0803.png

scroll down and hit the trigger type

IMG_0804.png

This time set it as a split

IMG_0805.png

as you will see we need to set direction again

IMG_0806.png

so as before we need to set it and save

IMG_0807.png

and the map will sow it lined up with the direction of travel

IMG_0808.png

now clicking map as before we can see the track coming on nicely

IMG_0809.png

so time to scroll and zoom to the next poi (corner 3 this time) hitting the flag to set it

IMG_0810.png

name it

IMG_0811.png

add the track set

IMG_0812.png

press the trigger

IMG_0813.png

set it to information

IMG_0814.png

click map

IMG_0815.png

now you will see its not quite lined up, this can happen from time to time. so tap the poi and you will see its info + a blue arrow

IMG_0816.png

holding your finger on it you can now drag and drop it into place

IMG_0817.png

So then scroll to the next poi place and zoom accordingly and we will make a split 2 buy hitting the flag

IMG_0818.png

name and save it

IMG_0819.png

associate it with the poi set

IMG_0820.png

change the trigger type

IMG_0821.png

set it as split again

IMG_0822.png

set and save direction

IMG_0824.png

now as you can see its not quite right

IMG_0825.png

tap the split and click the blue arrow

IMG_0826.png

it will then take you to the main page and go back and change the direction and save

IMG_0827.png

back to the map to check alignment

IMG_0828.png

now onto the next poi placement and zoom in hitting the flag again to set its position

IMG_0839-1.png

this time adding turn 4 and save it

IMG_0829.png

setting the track set

IMG_0830.png

trigger type to information

IMG_0831.png

so now go to the map and we can see the full circuit

IMG_0834.png

if you then go the the lap list tab you will see the poi set named test track set with the 7 poi's (4 corners, 2 splits and the stop go trigger)

IMG_0835.png

and hitting the track set you will see all the poi's, don't worry they are not in the correct order as they work on long/lat positions

IMG_0836.png

now all you have to do is go out and drive the circuit with it set to time/video.

it will keep recoding when passing a stop/go and only stop on a stop trigger such as a hill climb finish like or the ring doing B2G.

but the laps get split so to speak into individual laps.

Currently you can not overlay a session so to speak but that is planned for V18. Obviously this version over version 16.x has seen a massive change with things such as multicam, experimental support to GoPro etc

by the way i forgot to say that if you are using a iphone or a device connected to the web is automatically uploads your times to the hall of fame for that track set if its been downloaded.

just go to tracks and say select brands indi and scroll down to see the hall of fame for times. with the option to sort via various settings such as best lap, named drivers, most recent lap etc

Epic thread now ! Well done

What's this about Overlay you can only do one lap overlay ? Not a full session ?

Nice one, cant wait to get back to Knockhill now.

My new Ram Mount should be here today and yesterday I spent ages at lunch finding the gear ratios for the Megane ND0 000 gear box.

The only Video I have is a warm up lap where my mount gives in as soon as I hit the first kerb :lol: I might upload it for a laugh, looks like I've rolled it.

Last edited:
Nice one, cant wait to get back to Knockhill now.

My new Ram Mount should be here today and yesterday I spent ages at lunch finding the gear ratios for the Megane ND0 000 gear box.

The only Video I have is a warm up lap where my mount gives in as soon as I hit the first kerb :lol: I might upload it for a laugh, looks like I've rolled it.

I need an iPhone mount for roll cage (4s) any ideas ?

Awesome guide MP, very thorough, there's quite a lot to this app it seems. Lots of room for improvement on GUI by the looks of things but nice.

What mount are you using? I think I'll pick one up and get the App for How Fast :smile: