Hard wired dash cam

JSD

Platinum Member
As title. Has anybody hard wired a dash cam, and how did you do it? Which fuses did you piggyback and where did you route the wires?

Mine is also hardwired, I can get pics at the weekend for you. Dead easy.

Thanks. I've routed all the cables to the glovebox - to find the fusebox under the steering wheel. Doh! What fuses did you piggyback? I have a blackvue dr650s that needs one switched (on when the engine is on) and one always on I think.
Cheers!

I used cigarette lighter for mine.

You can probably find a passage from glovebox to under steering wheel anyway, just a bit fiddly.

If this is for a Mk3 then I routed across to O/S A pillar, under the dash to the fuse box to the left of the steering wheel.
This was using the NextBase kit.

Thanks for your all replies. I have the 'always on' wire (for parking mode) wired into the dash binnacle. The problem is that the only switched fuse I can find is for the electric windows, and that's right next to the fuse I've already used making it impossible to fit another add-a-fuse next to it. I used the dash binnacle as I think all of the others turn off after an amount of time to save the battery - I know the interior lights do this.
I'm stumped, and on something that should be so easy!

It's pretty similar to what I already have. I've just realised how dumb I was being, the symbol for the cigarette lighter fuse is a burning cigarette, I didn't make the connection (no pun!) for some reason, derrp. Thanks! I'll try that.
Last (dumb) question, is there a bolt close to the fuse box I can earth to? I've prodded around with a multimeter and can't find any with continuity.

Hard wire to an Auxiliary cable in the car. This will allow power to get to the camera unit 'only' when the car is unlocked and active, similar to most 12v cigarette lighter sockets found in cars.
You can feed a mains off the stereo system. There's Aux power there and simple to get to.

Got the positives from the fusebox, just looking for an earthing point. Pretty sure there must be something near the fusebox for that to earth onto. Cheers