H&R Spring alternatives

AndyBMX

Paid Member
Hi All,

My 200 currently has H&R springs but it's just too firm for me. I like the amount of drop they give, but not how firm they are.

Does anyone have any alternatives to suggest that give a similar drop but are not as firm? Cooksports, Eibachs etc? The car does have cup dampers on.

Thanks,
Andy.

I loved my Cooksport springs. 30mm drop all round & felt much like cup springs in general driving. When you pressed on, or were on track the car cornered much flatter. I'd do it again.

I loved my Cooksport springs. 30mm drop all round & felt much like cup springs in general driving. When you pressed on, or were on track the car cornered much flatter. I'd do it again.
Thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you've had/been in a car with H&R's to compare the two have you?

I have Eibachs on non-cup dampers, I chose this on purpose as I have been out in cars with H&Rs + non-cup dampers and also H&Rs + cup dampers, it was way too stiff, I hated both of them, so decided on Eibachs and glad I did, they are a little bit stiffer than standard but night and day softer than the H&Rs.

They are stiffer in a good way to reduce body roll a little bit, but still can have loads of fun and confidence in country lanes, without bouncing all over the shot.

(I also had an R27 before this non-cup 197, the R27 on cup dampers and springs was way too stiff for me too).

Reactions: Doogle
I have Eibachs on non-cup dampers, I chose this on purpose as I have been out in cars with H&Rs + non-cup dampers and also H&Rs + cup dampers, it was way too stiff, I hated both of them, so decided on Eibachs and glad I did, they are a little bit stiffer than standard but night and day softer than the H&Rs.

They are stiffer in a good way to reduce body roll a little bit, but still can have loads of fun and confidence in country lanes, without bouncing all over the shot.

(I also had an R27 before this non-cup 197, the R27 on cup dampers and springs was way too stiff for me too).

Couldn’t agree any more.

For road use, for an old fogey like me the Eibachs Rock. Firmed up the ride on mine, reduced the body roll and with zero crashyness. Perfect for my road use I’d say.

If I was heading on track they wouldn’t be the best bet / firm enough I’d fully imagine and I’d look at other alternatives....

Reactions: suj

Couldn’t agree any more.

For road use, for an old fogey like me the Eibachs Rock. Firmed up the ride on mine, reduced the body roll and with zero crashyness. Perfect for my road use I’d say.

If I was heading on track they wouldn’t be the best bet / firm enough I’d fully imagine and I’d look at other alternatives....

Eibachs are sounding like a potential winner.. are you both talking about the pro-kit?

Also, Sevenfourate - are you using the springs on cup or non-cup dampers?

I am sure they only do Pro-kit?
But yeah I am non-cup dampers + Eibachs, I think Shuv above (haha poet, didn't know it) has same setup, but his is a 200 not a 197.

Eibachs are sounding like a potential winner.. are you both talking about the pro-kit?

Also, Sevenfourate - are you using the springs on cup or non-cup dampers?

Yea I’m on stock non-Cup 200 dampers.

The very dampers these Springs were designed around I believe. And I love the very noticeable difference / improvement.

‘Don’t think’ mines a Pro kit.

And LMAO Suj

Reactions: suj
i don't think the eibachs will give you the same drop as the H&R's. from memory they are 20/25mm instead of 30/30mm.

By contrast I have standard Cup suspension and love it. Yes it is very firm, not stiff though, by that I mean not coarse. It is quite capable of getting airborne on bumps on back roads taken at speed, or at least feels that way and as such is more demanding to drive than softer cars, but I just find in makes me laugh. On normal roads it actually absorbs bumps well. I love it because to have a car that does not feel compromised on track and still OK on the road is brilliant. Most road cars feel very soft on track, but this is not. Most track cars are vile on the road but this is not. I couldn't imagine however how destroyed it would be to have stiffer and lower springs with these dampers though. That would be "stiff!"

Reactions: sevenfourate
My 2 pence, bought my 197 with 109k on the original shocks with H&R fitted.

Quite quickly realised how knackered the suspension was so whilst replacing a load of bits (topmounts, swivel joints, both wishbones and ball joints, ARB and anti rotation links and shocks) and decided that I wanted to change the crashy H&Rs. Bought early 200 Cup shocks (hardest available) and Eibach springs. Initial impressions are good, I still find it hard which is good for pushing on in backroads but as a daily a little firm. Better than the H&Rs. I still find the rears too hard, have been tempted to change the rear shocks for 197 Cup shocks purely to soften it up a bit. Tyre pressure is also a factor, I run 31 on the rear to control the bounce on stock size tyres.

I would add that Eibachs have a progressive spring rate so get harder further through travel, H&R have a linear spring rate so are just harder full stop.

Reactions: sevenfourate
I would add that Eibachs have a progressive spring rate so get harder further through travel, H&R have a linear spring rate so are just harder full stop.

Great info.

Something I researched when buying springs myself. But overlooked noting here on this thread !

Reactions: Doogle