GW 200 CUP (clubsport->racecar->v2)

V6 box in, after wasting way too much time on a loose wire this took me a long time, I don't think I am going to do stuff on the car in the dark and in the cold for a while. However the car feels great, more responsive and torque at low revs feels good, at this point I assumed it was 99% placebo but was happy regardless, It also hasn't seemed to have increased in noise compared to the stock airbox.

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 15.26.13.png

Up early for Goodwood yesterday and expected cold but dry conditions instead it had snowed and it was very icy! Not great as in my rush to get the car ready I had not put my wiper bottle back in. Decided to keep the PS4’s on / kept the dampers soft (ish) and see how the day went. The conditions where so bad they had us go out on a few parade laps to spread the salt around.

IMG_4029.JPG

(note the lovely looking AG cup at the front, member on here but didn't catch his name)

3.jpg

Only two sessions managed before lunch due to a Yaris somehow binning it on the first lap (luckily only bumper/wing damage) and a Morgan doing similar on the same corner, so we all had briefing number two in an attempt to stop more reds / ending the day early.

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 15.11.11.png

The track was changing almost every session as areas dried and ice melted the grip was difficult to find. Also struggled with getting any heat into the PS4’s (stone cold even after after a session) and took me a while to get used to the feedback, certainly taken for granted how great AR1 are on a dry track!

Later in the afternoon it was obvious that semi slicks where a faster tyre for the conditions (a Megane put on some dodgy looking slicks at one point..) however I was having probably the most fun I have had on a track day so decided to stick with the PS4. Fordwater was pretty scary, tried it flat once but it scared the shit out of me so decided to play it safe and lift before and on the throttle through it to try and settle the car as much as possible.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

At around 3pm the temperature dropped again and things started getting slippery, lots of people stopped at this point but I started to find things more predictable. Video of me having a lot of fun chasing down a ‘trackstormers special' M3 if you are bored:

Overall the car felt really quick, considering it was wet/icy and I was on PS4’s was expecting it to be slower when it came to top speeds. But as you can see from these graphs it accelerates faster and reaches a higher vmax with the v6 box even though I am starting from 10-15mph slower speed at corner min (green is dry), could the cold air help? Really looking forward to trying it out in the dry once it has been mapped but its looking very positive and maybe even worth the pain..

Screenshot_20211130-083034.png

Screenshot_20211130-083055.png

Car being dropped off this Friday for gearbox rebuild / gripper and remap :thumb:

Last edited:
V6 box in, after wasting way too much time on a loose wire this took me a long time, I don't think I am going to do stuff on the car in the dark and in the cold for a while. However the car feels great, more responsive and torque at low revs feels good, at this point I assumed it was 99% placebo but was happy regardless, It also hasn't seemed to have increased in noise compared to the stock airbox.

View attachment 148361

Up early for Goodwood yesterday and expected cold but dry conditions instead it had snowed and it was very icy! Not great as in my rush to get the car ready I had not put my wiper bottle back in. Decided to keep the PS4’s on / kept the dampers soft (ish) and see how the day went. The conditions where so bad they had us go out on a few parade laps to spread the salt around.

View attachment 148362

(note the lovely looking AG cup at the front, member on here but didn't catch his name)

View attachment 148363

Only two sessions managed before lunch due to a Yaris somehow binning it on the first lap (luckily only bumper/wing damage) and a Morgan doing similar on the same corner, so we all had briefing number two in an attempt to stop more reds / ending the day early.

View attachment 148364

The track was changing almost every session as areas dried and ice melted the grip was difficult to find. Also struggled with getting any heat into the PS4’s (stone cold even after after a session) and took me a while to get used to the feedback, certainly taken for granted how great AR1 are on a dry track!

Later in the afternoon it was obvious that semi slicks where a faster tyre for the conditions (a Megane put on some dodgy looking slicks at one point..) however I was having probably the most fun I have had on a track day so decided to stick with the PS4. Fordwater was pretty scary, tried it flat once but it scared the shit out of me so decided to play it safe and lift before and on the throttle through it to try and settle the car as much as possible.

View attachment 148365

View attachment 148366

View attachment 148367

At around 3pm the temperature dropped again and things started getting slippery, lots of people stopped at this point but I started to find things more predictable. Video of me having a lot of fun chasing down a ‘trackstormers special' M3 if you are bored:

Overall the car felt really quick, considering it was wet/icy and I was on PS4’s was expecting it to be slower when it came to top speeds. But as you can see from these graphs it accelerates faster and reaches a higher vmax with the v6 box even though I am starting from 10-15mph slower speed at corner min (green is dry), could the cold air help? Really looking forward to trying it out in the dry once it has been mapped but its looking very positive and maybe even worth the pain..

View attachment 148368

View attachment 148369

Car being dropped off this Friday for gearbox rebuild / gripper and remap :thumb:

Who is doing your Gripper and remap - AW Motorworks and Engine Dynamics?

I would be interested to see what difference the inlets, manifolds and V6 box make to your figures when you get it remapped.

Have you got another track day booked to test out the Gripper when it has been done?

I would be interested to see what difference the inlets, manifolds and V6 box make to your figures when you get it remapped.

Have you got another track day booked to test out the Gripper when it has been done?

Of course, 17/12 at Goodwood, I am completely addicted.

Have you booked in yet?

Not yet. We have just bought a set of Gaz Golds. I was quoted just over £2k for the Gripper and gearbox refresh work so it will probably go in around February 2022. It sounds like a long time in the future but I need a bit of time to save up.

You should get sone positive figures and a smoother power curve. We have got more or less identical set ups so hopefully I can get similar figures to yours when I get a remap next year.

Reactions: LiamP
You too mate, certainly picked an interesting day! The morning was the worst conditions I have been out in.

They certainly weren't the best conditions for my first ever trackday... But I still had fun and learnt a lot. I will book another Goodwood session for spring time next year which should hopefully mean no snow!

I am looking forward to reading how you get on with the diff.

5D26A549-57D2-4B17-A69C-33CEF1F9AB36.jpeg

Sent off to Alex on Friday, the list has grown longer:

- Gearbox rebuild
- Clutch / slave
- Clutch damper delete line
- Gripper diff (race spec)
- ED remap
- Airbag lights off

Looks like he will work on it Monday and should have it back next Friday or Saturday, will probably collect so I can have an excuse to drive it.

On a separate note after a test day at Brands I have been offered a drive in the CMMCS tin top series next year, this would be driving one of their saxo’s. No ABS, no power steering, plated diff and 850kg with a driver, although it felt like the car was trying to kill me each corner or gear change I loved every second of it.

Haven’t made a decision yet but seems like it could be an easy way to try out some racing without the upfront investment of getting a car sorted / trailer / support etc.

Nice! What's the price for the gearbox work if you don't mind me asking?

The CMMCS sounds like it would be a good laugh, Saxos are hilarious fun to hoon!

Just got back from AW Motorworks, I would 100% recommend Alex more for any work! What was supposed to be a days work need up being a lot more, to start off with the guy transporting somehow managed to put two nails in the rear tyres. Not a great start but Alex went out of his way to get them repaired before starting the rebuild. On to the box:

All good, gearbox was in very good condition to be honest!

Gripper gone in, diff bearings & seals, 3rd & 4th synchros plus the selector hub for those (as expected after our phone call!), no need for output shaft bearings. Plus the clutch etc too.

Happy with that as I have certainly given it some action this year, going to continue to change the box oil at around the 2k mark and stick with redline.

Was booked in this morning with Andy at ED, had a worrying call at 9am to query the fuel as it as pulling the timing slightly. I had stolen some 99 from my dad that was stored in a jug, I remember the bottom being a bit yellow/brown but thought nothing of it.

Alex then emptied the tank, filled up, checked compression (all good thank god), checked spark/ignition, replaced knock sensor and finally checked the timing which was slightly out on the exhaust side. He rectified this and ran some tests which proved it had improved but still wasn’t 100%. He then noticed the thermostat was stuck open (sticks to the first line on the dash) It seems this could be the final cause as it was intermittent on the dyno (I have never noticed anything once up to temp) He didn’t have a spare but I have ordered and will replace this week (more night time maintenance for me)

It’s now running ED’s map and putting out 205.1HP / 162.6FtLb, very happy with this as I was aiming for anything above 200.

75E51113-8CF0-4BBB-8531-AEE799EE346B.jpeg

Gearbox feels great, damper delete has made a much bigger difference then expected, maybe it’s the clutch change as well but it’s now nice and smooth when at the biting point. Gripper doesn’t sound great at low speeds / full lock and you can certainly hear/feel it engaging but did the standard roundabout test and it was like having 4wd! Very excited about getting it on the track as it feels like it really needs to be pushed to get the most out of it / a change of driver style.

So overall an eventful day and very thankful I went to AW as I am not sure anyone else would have gone to this much effort, very impressive :thumb:

Thermostat replaced and system bled, quick test drive and I can see it working / settling on the 2nd line, it was certainly over cooling before.

In typical French fashion my fan has fallen off its top bracket and chopped through my gearbox earth. Starting to have a real love hate relationship with this car. On a side note having just a v6 box makes the engine much easier to work on!

14A321A9-A774-4B74-8572-57C55487B388.jpeg

First outing on track with the gripper and its fare to say it was liking driving a completely different car! In my opinion it is horrible to drive on the road, the noise is horrific and you can feel it engaging when travelling slowly, it is certainly not something I would want if used as a daily. That being said I am running the race specs and I imagine it would be a lot more compliant on the lower specs.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 19.06.59.png

Arrived at Goodwood to an empty track with only 20 cars booked on for the morning, this gave me some space and time to get an idea of how the car handles. Same geo/damper settings and the gripper has almost completely removing the rotation I would normally get with my normal technique. On corner entry you can feel it engaging on the deceleration and keeping the wheels straight, I expected this after reading about many experiencing understeer on corner entry. With heavier trail breaking you can almost overcome this but the best way seemed to just get on the throttle earlier and ideally with left foot braking to keep the weight on the front. After 3 years of teaching myself to do completely the opposite and feathering the throttle I was having to unlearn..

With front toe + gripper Fordwater (super fast flat out corner) was very sketchy, to the point I am thinking about dialling the toe back but want to try the setup at Brands or Snetterton before making any changes.

The speed the car now carries through and out of a corner is just terrifying, it took about 3 sessions before I could get the tyres warm enough to trust it but then everything just switched on. By lunch I was beating my PB with about a second to gain from corner entry compared to my previous fastest.

Sadly in the first session after lunch my clutch pedal went to the floor on the first lap, few pumps of the pedal and it came back but was still very light pointing to air in the system. I didn't have any tubing to bleed and tbh didn't want to risk making things worse preventing getting home so called it a day and spent the afternoon as a passenger with a few.

267721258_10158009713696862_7637541324970896413_n.jpg

Clutch bleed over the weekend and it had a fair amount of air bubbles and was milky to start off with, also had some white grease which first terrified me but apparently this is from the new slave and is tricky to remove. After a few flushes from an unwilling helper on the pedal it was clean again and the pedal felt normal. This has made my brake pedal slightly spongy so will use this as an excuse to refurb my callipers and bleed/replace the fluid over Christmas/new year.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 19.14.29.png

Started tidying up a few things on the interior by fixing my blower connector, striping out radio/wiring and copying @NWDSdaz by painting some of the plastic. Really happy with how its turning out so contemplating including the dash as well but will do some tests first.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 19.25.49.png

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 19.16.44.png