Gutting the Air Con Compressor

Hi All,

Want to do an A/C delete and I've read a few people have just gutted their A/C compressors so it just becomes a housing and a free running pulley so I'm planning on doing the same this weekend. I can't find a specific how to or any more details on here so I was wondering if anyone who's done it has any tips or things to look out for? Obviously will ensure the system is degassed properly first, but it stopped working a lot time ago so I'll be surprised if there's much in there anyway!

Many thanks

There was something on facebook about it, don't think it was a guide though. Think it's relatively simple.

You can move the alternator down, run a 1*2 crank pulley and a shorter belt. If you don't want to change the pulley you'd need to cut the bottom corner from the belt cover.

There was something on facebook about it, don't think it was a guide though. Think it's relatively simple.

You can move the alternator down, run a 1*2 crank pulley and a shorter belt. If you don't want to change the pulley you'd need to cut the bottom corner from the belt cover.

I think the OP is thinking of removing the innards of air con compressor leaving the pulley and belt in place. I cant say I know how to do it though but seems a clever idea.

I asked on the facebook group and someone posted the below images. The pulley apparently needs to be removed to get access to the 5 bolt heads that hold the whole pump together. They initially tried removing the pulley but it was difficult and they didn't want to risk damaging it, so instead they cut along the join in the pump housing, through the bolts, and gutted it this way. I asked how exposed the pulley bearing now was to the elements and apparently it's not very.

I've got a spare pump turning up today and am going to have a go tonight so will let you know how I get on.

uc?id=1Dn-r7sgOPaCEF4MD8gN5LLrFgUHCFWqS.jpg

uc?id=1T3SDepLdTpWgNOlw1ZvgPqmAmS43fEYR.jpg

I asked on the facebook group and someone posted the below images. The pulley apparently needs to be removed to get access to the 5 bolt heads that hold the whole pump together. They initially tried removing the pulley but it was difficult and they didn't want to risk damaging it, so instead they cut along the join in the pump housing, through the bolts, and gutted it this way. I asked how exposed the pulley bearing now was to the elements and apparently it's not very.

I've got a spare pump turning up today and am going to have a go tonight so will let you know how I get on.

View attachment 131571

View attachment 131572
How did this go for you in the end. I'm about to cut through the housing/bolts. Would appreciate any tips you might have.

@Gorman It went fine in the end, and with the right tool (a bearing puller) to remove the pulley you don't need to cut through anything.

You need to first remove the outer clutch plate from the face of the pulley, to then be able to remove the pulley itself and the electromagnetic ring inside it. Once these are off, remove the 5 bolts that hold the whole compressor casing together. Once these are out you can prize it apart in to three seperate pieces (fluid will run everywhere) and then use the end piece, with the pulley refitted, as you new light weight permanently free-running pulley.

I ditched about 7kg in total by removing all the A/C pipes in the engine bay, the A/C condensor infront of the rad and gutting the compressor.

IMG-20190215-171449.jpg
IMG-20190215-171949.jpg
IMG-20190215-172048.jpg
IMG-20190215-173036.jpg
IMG-20190215-173039.jpg
IMG-20190215-173126.jpg
IMG-20190215-173129.jpg
IMG-20190215-173257.jpg
IMG-20190215-173613.jpg
IMG-20190215-174436.jpg
IMG-20190215-174439.jpg
IMG-20190215-174551.jpg