GR Yaris

burrellbloke

Paid Member
I put down a deposit on a GR Yaris today.

I had to replace my liquid yellow Megane RS 280 after it was written off - it had an unfortunate meeting with a dead deer at 70 mph on a dual carriageway that launched the car in to the air.

I had considered a whole range of other cars but took a "sensible" view. I needed a car immediately and could not wait for a new car to be ordered and take several months to turn up. I wanted something that was going to reasonably inexpensive to run. My car needed to get me to and from work each day, but other than that it was not going to be a family wagon or serve any other purpose. I also wanted a car that was fun to drive if I wanted to go for a spirited drive on B roads.

I may have been drawn in by internet hype but I looked at a few GR Yaris' online and thought that they were just a bonkers concept. I also think that they are a bit like a Renault 182 Trophy - they are a fairly unique build and probably worth owning even if it is only for a short period of time.

I had a test drive in GR Yaris today. It was a bit of an odd experience as I turned up to the dealership with @EthanMenace the salesman I had booked an appointment with was quite young. He said that he would sit in the back the car and let me get on with it, so I did, and he just rolled about in the back. I put the car straight in to track mode and had a spirited drive. On the drive I managed to get the car to 7,000 rpm and up to 90 mph without the salesman saying anything.

I was really impressed with the level of grip and power. It felt a lot more comfortable to drive than the Clio 200 and perhaps more comfortable than my Megane. What I mean by comfortable is that it was good to drive, but not as a raw. The driving position was not great as I have been used to sitting really low in the Megane, but it was not that different from the seating position of the Recaros in the 200. It felt good to drive but without a clear road it is difficult to really say exactly how it handles. The interior was a bit basic but it had the essential equipment that I needed: CarPlay and adaptive cruise control.

IMG_4351.jpeg

After the test drive I put down a deposit and I will collect the car next week.

IMG_4352.jpeg

The car design is bonkers. 4 Wheel drive in a hot hatch. Aggressive styling. It also has a carbon forged roof that has a wrap on it.

IMG_4354.jpeg

The car I am buying is a Circuit Pack model with 4,500 miles on it despite it being registered in August 2021.

IMG_4353.jpeg

The more I read about the car the more I think that I have bought a unique car that will tick all of the boxes for me.

I now cannot wait to pick up the car.

Hope you get on well with it mate. Certainly gets great reviews as a B road blaster. Look forward to seeing it on track!

Reactions: burrellbloke
Hope you get on well with it mate. Certainly gets great reviews as a B road blaster. Look forward to seeing it on track!
I regret not taking the Megane out on track thinking “I will do it one day”. The Yaris is definitely hitting the track, and possibly in December.

Reactions: M154MATT
I have been doing a bit of research. -3 Degrees of camber should be achievable with some camber bolts for less than £100. Camber bolts and a geo set up will be a good start.

• Haha
Reactions: strell and Sean197

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stealthist80 New Members 13
Webby Other Marques 2