Golf gti 30th edition

So basically I had a ly r27 from new with low mileage which i loved but the 3 gearboxes in 4 years one out of warranty pissed me off no end and this was my 4th Renault by now all off which were plagued with problems, situations changed I bought a transit st connect van which was remaped and loved for what it was work/pet/hobby orientated basically the ideal for me I only owned for 9 months and was stollen and luckily enough traced threw police to a local cut up shop in airdrie by chance threw my m8s wallet but no sign of my van and insurance had already paid out by this point. Was on hunt for a new car for a month or so now and ford and Renault were a no go and was contemplating a lupo gti as was only car I had ever regretted selling.
To cut a long story short seen a golf gti edition 30 with 14k miles on the clock with dsg and not knowing much about them looked in to it, basically a detuned s3 engine with the same turbo,internals but just a smaller intercooler running 230 bhp had a test drive and instantly fell in love iv owned it for a few months now and is easily the best car to date and a a remap will take me to 305 bhp with ease and with a few in expensive mods up to 400, ill admit it doesn't feel as good in the bends as my r27 but the car just feels to me so much better than the Clio and my mpg to work on motorway I'm getting 36mpg which was unseen in the r27, Renault should sort out the issues regarding there cars and short term problems iv always loved Renault but there on going problems had cost them a long term customer!!

ED30 are immense, and its a great choice. Apples and pears with Clio though. I'm not sure the gearbox is as much of a problem in the Clio against the numbers sold. I've had many cars over 20+ years and tbh, Clios no different reliability wise. Only real downside is the stupidly high cost of parts from the dealer.

Couple of negatives, I'd say the ED30 is doesn't look special enough compared to reg golfs, but equally maybe thats part of the stealth appeal of it.

Also be careful, I know a few that have caught out really experience drivers.....beware of the bends!!!!!

Last edited:
They are great and the dsg is phenomenal. I sold my mk2 TT when it was out of warranty because I was too scared of the cost of a new clutch never mind a new gearbox. They are great cars so I totally get where you're coming from but the problem with all the VAG gti is this.... my mums got one and so have her friends!!

I had an ED30 a couple of years ago, i went for the manual, 3 doors, red - very well specced, nippy but the way the power came in (very smooth) it just didn't feel quick until you looked at the speedo :smile:
I had mine for maybe 3 months and had the EML - turned out to be the charcoal cannister which i was told was a common problem (£120) - dealers basically said filling the tank to top too often knackers it????

My friend just copped a black Ed30, literally around a month or two ago I love it and I didn't think I would either, dunno how your getting 36mpg though he barely gets 20 LoL.

Richwig83 my car was used as a development car for the software!! Proven on serval rolling roads!!!

There are now loads cars running over 385bhp on stage 2+ proven on different dynos!

Get you facts straight!!!

Richwig83 my car was used as a development car for the software!! Proven on serval rolling roads!!!

There are now loads cars running over 385bhp on stage 2+ proven on different dynos!

Get you facts straight!!!

Ive seen more 2+ ED30s on different rolling roads that youve had hot dinners mate.... 385 from stage2+ is nonsense.... UNLESS you are running WMI!

Last edited:
Welcome to the site mate, very good write up there:wink:

Erm the difference was night and day! Seemed to be over taking clios all day - and I know there was a slight power difference, but on croft I wouldn't say power is a huge advantage

Without trying to be offensive or anything Oscar360 but if you weren't overtaking Clios driving a Golf with £1.5k suspension kit, 180bhp on top and crazy torque figures then you should have been questioning your driving skills...Also, I believe that it is a bit unfair to compare cars when these are driven by different drivers, we all know this I guess.

Golfs are great cars and with the right setup can be as quick or even quicker than the Clios, but for me it's not about how quick a car is, it's its behavior, involvement and several other factors which I'm sure you are aware of. Typical example the Audi RS3 vs BMW 135i CH video, even though the audi was nearly 1sec quicker, it was pants...

I have a 200 cup and having got out of an Exige s to get into it, I honestly don't think they are as good handling a car as people make out.

Well, going from an Exige S to clio 200 is a downgrade anyway so what you say doesn't surprise me. Especially if you were used to the Lotus' brilliant handling. Why did you change if you don't mind me asking Oscar?

Fair comments! Had an S3 8p after the golf and it was pants in comparison!

I sold the Exige as I got made redundant, and lost the use of my company car. The Exige wasn't a great daily - plus turning up to job interviews in a bright orange 30k car was sending the wrong message I think lol!

Truly awesome driving car, clio is decent but the Exige would have it licked every which way

Orange Exige S is a tenner, period!

What a stunning car, and handling wise...well I can't say anything but agree 100% with you. I bet you must've been gutted seeing that beauty being driven away...

Good luck with your conversion:wink:

Similar Thread Suggestions