Gearbox Replacement

Hi all

Some of you may already know that the gearbox in my 200 is the original and has major crunching in 4th, it's at the point now im skipping 4th altogether as it's so bad going in!

Iv been quoted £500+ to have the box sent off to be rebuilt, so my question is......has anyone got a ruff idea as to the time it will take for the chaps at the garage to remove the box and then put it back in after it's been rebuilt?

Just weighing up my options and trying to astablish a ball park figure of the total cost I'm going to be looking at.

Hopefully I'll be buying @DannyAG200 spare box and have my original taken out and his spare put in, at least then I won't be without my car for the best part of a week while the box is sent off to be rebuilt.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Sean.

£500 for the rebuild not include the labour in and out ?

If it doesn't; you need to be contacting @Northloopcup on here. He'll whoop that price into shape right quick !
Yes mate 500 bucks just for rebuild! So would have labour cost ontop of that for them to hoof it out and then back in.
Thats why I was asking for estimate to time frame??

Renault say 9 hours i believe !

I recently heard of someone who'd had ongoing g/box issues (And had hence had it in and out a few times) say two of them had the box out the last time in not much longer than an hour.......

I'm sure i've seen that rentune can do the whole job for around £650. I paid £500 for the bearings to be replaced in my gearbox, including removing and refit of gearbox

Without putting words in his mouth or knowing the state of any particular g/box and the work required on it.......Northloopcup would laugh himself silly at the prices here :smile:

Which is great for anyone looking for a refurb....

Reactions: Northloopcup
Going to get the spare box if I can and keep looking into having my original rebuilt sometime in the future depending on cost and location to have work carried out.

I'm sure i've seen that rentune can do the whole job for around £650. I paid £500 for the bearings to be replaced in my gearbox, including removing and refit of gearbox

Rentune quoted me £700 all in. But the only thing that puts me off is 30 days warranty on a recon box..oh and the Meg idea spinning round my head all the time......

Reactions: SeanTheSheep
Lots of lolz here!! I've got a box that's in being rebuilt now that will be/is for sale. £400 and she's yours. It's a TL4 024, so 197 box with the 200 final 3 ratios.

I strip them, fully inspect them, and then replace what they need. I also fixed one that had been out 2 or 3 times and couldn't be sorted by the original builder.......@tombate911 will back me up on this one as he was the poor fucker taking it in and out!! Lol!

Lots of lolz here!! I've got a box that's in being rebuilt now that will be/is for sale. £400 and she's yours. It's a TL4 024, so 197 box with the 200 final 3 ratios.

I strip them, fully inspect them, and then replace what they need. I also fixed one that had been out 2 or 3 times and couldn't be sorted by the original builder.......@tombate911 will back me up on this one as he was the poor fucker taking it in and out!! Lol!

You're not wrong there! I think I've done my own box numerous times with clutch swaps and then fitting my gripper! I cannot fault mark's work. He fixed a gearbox for a friend which I removed 4 times in total I think 3 times the other company tried to fix it, mark hit the nail on the head the first time he looked at it and it's great now, I got to take that car out with the quaife at Anglesey.
I can probably do a gearbox swap in about 4/5 hours on my own on my driveway.

Update.
back in touch with my local garage about my gearbox issues and this is what they have come back to me with.

8-10 hours labour charge (£45 per hour)
£170 for clutch kit
£90 slave cylinder
£? Gearbox oil-I forget price, how much is required?
And then obviously I have the cost of the replacement/rebuilt box to start with.

What to do.......................................Rob a bank maybe $$$

Update.
back in touch with my local garage about my gearbox issues and this is what they have come back to me with.

£170 for clutch kit
£90 slave cylinder
And then obviously I have the cost of the replacement/rebuilt box to start with.

Was quoted 8 hours at discount rate of £55 where I am!
It is a big bill whatever happens!

Update.

£170 for clutch kit
£90 slave cylinder

10 hours is high IMO for a gearbox swap, especially for a garage. (id like to see how quick I could do it in a garage with a ramp)
You can purchase your own genuine renault clutch kit for 220 from Renault Parts Direct
The gearbox takes about 2L of oil. After much research i've moved to MT90 - Redline oil, i know a lot of people are following me on that due to the sycnro issues with them. Cost about £40 for that good quality oil
In all honesty a gearbox swap isn't difficult on the clio and id imagine most decent DIY mechanics could do it with a decent jack, basic knowledge and the service manual.

3 years late to the party but do you still do this service mate? Got a crunch going into fourth gear so synchro is the likely culprit I’m guessing. Looking around for someone who’s going to do a proper job at reasonable price!

let me know mate