Gearbox mount. OEM or Powerflex?

Yiannis197

Paid Member
The time has come to sort out my gearbox mount, it hasn't ever been replaced and after nearly 8 years I believe it has seen better days.

So the question is, should I go for an OEM replacement or a powerflex insert? The thing is that an OEM part is £60 posted, the Powerflex insert is £25. Now..I'm aware of the fact that powerflex doesn't actually replace the original rubber but augments the actual mount bushing which is fine bcause mine is not damaged or anything, it has just gone soft after all those years. My only worry would be the vibrations really so has anyone tried it yet?

As far as I'm aware the gearbox mounting doesn't give loads of vibrations (like the torque mount or lower engine mount) but any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

i was having the same dilemma not long ago then i had my car up on the ramp and found out,that it didnt need replacing..was surprised as my car is even older than yours..well i left it..but i would go for the inserts from powerflex as they are not that expensive and if not happy,you can always sell them...under the condition your current one is not damaged..

I'd go for the Powerflex item to be honest, i had the torque mount done on my car a couple of months ago and after about 2 weeks its bedded in nicely. Going to change the upper and lower engine mounts next to Powerflex.

hmm.. [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION] mine needs replacing mate because I had it checked, more play than normal without the rubber being cut or damaged. I'm leading towards the insert really, I'm only worried about vibrations!

its up to you..i've not had mine replaced so cant comment on the vibrations but most of the guys report that they settle after a while...

Last edited:
You wont notice any vibrations if you just replace gearbox mount with powerflex and will only notice very mild vibrations if you replace all engine mounts.

I replaced the top 2 (Torque and Upper Inserts) and there's quite a lot of vibration. The car drives much much better and the difference was instantly noticeable. They have bedded in quite a bit (approx 1000 miles now) but there's still plenty of noticeable vibration.

I do keep wondering what it would be like if I took the Upper Insert out (this adds most of the vibration), and added the Gearbox mount. So running Gearbox Mount + Torque with Powerflex items, then Upper Engine mount as standard.

My advice would 100% be, if you've already got the Gearbox powerflex mount, do the Powerflex Torque mount next (this one's really easy to change) and then only if you're still not happy, consider doing the Upper Engine Mount too.

[MENTION=52455]CallorFold[/MENTION] - i run the torque arm and gearbox mount with powerflex, with the original engine mount - there was a slight increase in vibration at first but this has since settled down and i dont notice it

@CallorFold - i run the torque arm and gearbox mount with powerflex, with the original engine mount - there was a slight increase in vibration at first but this has since settled down and i dont notice it

I'm really tempted to try this myself (take the Upper Engine Mount out and add the Gearbox Mount) - the Upper Engine mount was such hard work to get in though, I'm not sure I can get it out on my own which means enlisting the help of my friendly mechanic again...

It's good to know for sure though that it's the Upper Engine mount insert that adds all the extra vibration.