Gearbox Mod

Has anyone modified the gearbox in a 197. Looking for information to basically drop the revs in 6th gear, to give me better mpg. Any info or help would be great.

1. fit the newer 197 gearbox
2. fit a 200 gearbox
3. fit bigger wheels/tyres
4. fit the internals from a 197/200 gearbox

9. drive slower?

on a serious note, the new 200 box wont make a huge difference, after reading peoples average mpg its near enough the same mate. Wont be worth it. Ruin the car's character as well, there will be no power if you go low.

Last edited:
Right okay that was pointless asking then.

Yes i know i have a sports car and it meant to be for fun and not mpg, but as i am putting in a new engine, i thought that i might be able to do what i did with my axgtr. When you buy a sports car for fun on certain A/B roads or even circuits. Can you tell me that you ever use 6 gear, or even 5. it is always 1-4. So if you can drop the revs in 6 for ecomony then why not. Also save the noise levels for motorway driving, and before someone says anything my car has been Dynamated.

What engine are you putting in? Is it blown up? and if you wanna go above 100 u will need 5th. Think the only way is possibly a custom job. If your looking for MPG then a 200 box wont cut it im afraid and the revised 197 box really is minor.

i also think the poor mpg is more due to the weight of the car than the short gearing

yes it doesnt help but it wouldnt make that much difference even if you made it longer