Gear Selection Issue. Yes another thread. Help please :)

Liam Gunby

Paid Member
Morning all,
So basically my 197 has had a gearbox in the past (before i bought it, got receipt)
Its now done over 105tho Miles.

Symptoms are as follows- Wont Select gears up or Down if changed quickly. Mainly Downshifting.
- Works ok ish when speed is less than 40MPH.
- Changing down- You put the clutch in, remove it from a gear and then no matter how hard you push it wont select a lower gear. (Unless speed is drastically reduced)
- Revving up doesn't help the gear selection down either.
- Hot or Cold engine doesn't make any difference.

So to try and help the situation i changed the gearbox oil for the correct grade Redline MTL oil.
I also took the car to the garage and we bled the clutch slave cylinder.

I didn't know if it had air in the system so pressure plate wasn't pushing had enough.

None of that has worked.

Only things i can think of now is near complete clutch failure (But doesn't slip)
or gearbox is slowly reducing its self to cheese and needs new syncros.

Any thoughts????

Thank you in advance.

I take it its crunching a lot when attempting to select a gear? Any issues selecting gears when engine is off and car is stationary?

Any issues noted with the clutch, limited biting point, or is pulling away difficult?

Hard to say what it is but sounds like its not disengaging drive so id say maybe clutch pressure plate is knackered or the slave/master isnt functioning properly.

My pressure plate was broken, and did give some similar, though not quite as bad symptoms - the plate was not that broken though. Do you notice any juddering at all when pulling away?

So it only slightly crunches when going into 5th gear. No other time.
Engine off I can select gears fine.
It does judder sometimes yes when I pull off but I always put that down too that sensor on the inlet manifold being faltly..

So stuck haha

So it only slightly crunches when going into 5th gear. No other time.
Engine off I can select gears fine.
It does judder sometimes yes when I pull off but I always put that down too that sensor on the inlet manifold being faltly..

So stuck haha

Crunching in 5th isn't that common - so it could well be gearbox, but I'd likely go with the clutch based on this.

Reactions: Liam Gunby
Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking its just the clutch that has issues. Needed other peoples opinions tho :smile:

Now to get some money together.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking its just the clutch that has issues. Needed other peoples opinions tho :smile:

Now to get some money together.

Thanks again.

I should add that Renault Parts Direct did a very good price on clutch and slave - I'd definitely recommend getting the slave done at the same time - given they are a known weak spot.

Reactions: Liam Gunby