Gear linkage snapped

Frank Perry

Platinum Member
Hey fellas,

So I took the sh*tbox daily (Peugeot 206) in for MOT today and will be getting it back tomorrow. Great, I can use the 197 for a day or 2 until I get the daily back, right? Wrong!

Ran some errands this evening in the 197 and (this is the lucky part) the second I got home, I selected reverse and the gear linkage cable snapped, meaning I can't select ANY gears. Normally I work from home, but tomorrow there's nobody to lock up the office as usual person is on annual leave so I NEED a car to get to work... Good job a friend came through and casually gave me the keys to his Nissan 350z - that's a proper mate!

My question is, is this repairable? I assume not but worth asking as it'd be MUCH easier to replace the end of this than the entire cable. Which leads me to my next question, is it worth replacing all the cables at once? If so, anybody know where I can purchase a NEW set of cables? Normally I don't mind second hand but honestly I don't fancy this happening to me again. I already had a problem with the linkages popping out and losing all gears but 3 and 4, why are these designed so poorly to allow this to happen?!

Any suggestions or help welcome and as always, much appreciated.

Pic of the snap below;
1597872520582.png

Also does anybody know if the 197 and 200 share the same? For example if I purchased a whole set of cables from a 200, would it be a straight swap?

Kinda desperate here as I'm not having any luck at finding a part number or anything...

Does this part come apart?
1597875574950.png

If so, then surely I could source a replacement end?

Help!

I’m not 100% they are the same. But I can’t see them being any different.
The same gearbox and shifter mechanism is used after all.

I also don’t think the end comes apart either. I’ve never seen one snap like that!

I've just bought the gear stick with cables as a complete unit second hand from a Clio 200. Renbreakers messaged me back saying it is compatible and they look identical so worth a punt for £30.

Thanks for the responses fellas :smile:

Reactions: suj
Hey guys, just a quick follow up on this one - I just sorted this today and all is well but........

That little end part that had snapped off - I was able to shift the white plastic part where the spring is upwards like this:
1598208675010.png

Then on the other side where the orange part is, you can push this through and it allows you to adjust the length. It's difficult to explain but basically, you can take that part off and replace it. This is exactly what I did, right after spending like 2 hours jacking car up securely, pulling middle section of exhaust off, unclipping heat shield, ripping the interior out to get the the bolts on top of the shifter.... I literally could have changed the end part and had it done with in a matter of minutes.

Lesson learned though, and it gave me a change to learn how other bits and bobs on the 197 come apart and go back together.

Now I need to find out how to stop the horrendous blow coming from join where the manifold meets the centre section. I genuinely do not remember a time where this section has not had a small/slight blow. This time, it's terrible. Got a toyo manifold to put on next week, so I'll see if this fits any better with the clamp. If not then I'm just going to weld it on or get v-bands welded so it's easy to take off should I need to in the future.

Might even put her up for sale soon -2 and a half years and all I have learnt is when something goes wrong, it's a right pain to fix as they're not quick or easy to do!

If it weren't for 197.net, my wallet would most likely be a lot lighter!!