Gear change stiff on track.

NickD

Paid Member
Much as the title says. For anyone that knows my car, it has stratospheric miles, but much like Trigger's broom there is very little in the drive train that is original now. What was still good after all those miles was the gearbox, no clunks or any issues. As it has had a slippy diff fitted this year, the chance was taken to renew some of the synchro's, as why not since the box is out?
In normal driving it is fine. If I was pushed, I would say that the change is marginally worse based on the reasoning that I don't remember thinking about the change before the mods, other than to think "no clunks or issues on this 200K box" and that now I occasionally notice the change.
However on track a week ago it became quite noticeable stiff the change became. There were no clunks or anything but, particularly on the down shift, it was just reluctant, like the synchro's were having to work quite hard. Once it had cooled off, on the way home and since it is back to how it was after the rebuild.
Has anyone else experienced this? To me is would suggest a slight clutch drag or can it be the oil is not up to the job.
Any thoughts?

Reactions: burrellbloke
I’ve had a similar issue with mine after having the clutch changed a couple of years ago. Gear change sometimes really stiff at the top of the rev range. Tried bleeding clutch, new gearbox oil etc but nothing fixed. Also noticed a bit of clutch drag above 5000 rpm.

Sorry can’t help with a solution - I’m swapping out engine, clutch & gearbox for Megane so hope that finally cures my one!!!

I had Redline before, so might be worth ago. The invoice also says 2 piece clutch so I wonder if the friction plate is relatively heavy relative to "normal"?

I struggled quite a bit at Snetterton going into Brundle.
Car refused to go down a gear, but has been fine at Cadwell.

Not entirely sure whether it’s just the selector mechanism wearing, or the Sintopoid 75w90 I’ve put in it for the diff.

Part of me was even wondering if maybe I was pushing the gearbox stick slightly wrong and not getting into the gate right.

Reactions: NickD
So I had issues were I couldnt get into the gate on track, which came down to early wear signs of the synchros for me. No crunching or anything, but I couldn't downshift into a lower gear if I was abov 6k rpm. Did the gearbox rebuild and it resolved the issue.

First stop I would try would be a fluid change. After that, it might be time for a rebuild.

So I had issues were I couldnt get into the gate on track, which came down to early wear signs of the synchros for me. No crunching or anything, but I couldn't downshift into a lower gear if I was abov 6k rpm. Did the gearbox rebuild and it resolved the issue.

First stop I would try would be a fluid change. After that, it might be time for a rebuild.

But did you change your clutch and slave at the same time? I still think it's a dying slave (or a combination of dying slave with dying synchros)

I did change the slave cylinder to a TRW part, but kept the clutch the same as it had plenty of life on it.