F4R or F4RT? What shall I do?

Basically,

I've come across an F4RT engine with Turbo, Injectors, and so on for £700 - The guy has said he'll keep it for me but I'll need to tell him this evening.

Pros & Cons please guys and a few Q's

Q1 - What else is needed, wiring loom is there but no ECU, I know I need a gearbox and driveshafts, and a custom downpipe are there anymore essentials?

Q2 - Driving pleasure, is it more fun to drive the nuts of a normal screaming 200 or does the 225 provide more satisfying thrills?

Q3 - Does £700 sound like a bargain or not?

Q4 - Shall I do it?

HELP D:

Q1 - most of the info is in there - http://www.clio197.net/threads/wheres-the-cost-go-doing-the-meg-conversion.54762/ You don't need a custom downpipe, megane 225/250 one is fine.
If you need an ecu give me a shout as I have one left.

Q2 - Purely subjective. I loved my TB'd saxo vts, but the Clio weighs about 300kg more and was just too heavy for the n/a engine for me. It's certainly faster (obviously), and the handling is the same, so personally I haven't lost any of the driving pleasure.

Q3 - does it come with the turbo? How many miles has it done? That's around the average price going by ebay prices for a circa 50-60k engine. Factor in a few hundred more for arp rod bolts, timing belt kit/water pump etc.

Q4 - Entirely up to you! Get a ride in one if you can, then make your own mind up. Most importantly, do it for you, it's your car. If you feel like you need more power then it's certainly the most cost-effective in terms of bhp/£. It depends entirely what you want from the car.

Q1 - most of the info is in there - http://www.clio197.net/threads/wheres-the-cost-go-doing-the-meg-conversion.54762/ You don't need a custom downpipe, megane 225/250 one is fine.
If you need an ecu give me a shout as I have one left.

Q2 - Purely subjective. I loved my TB'd saxo vts, but the Clio weighs about 300kg more and was just too heavy for the n/a engine for me. It's certainly faster (obviously), and the handling is the same, so personally I haven't lost any of the driving pleasure.

Q3 - does it come with the turbo? How many miles has it done? That's around the average price going by ebay prices for a circa 50-60k engine. Factor in a few hundred more for arp rod bolts, timing belt kit/water pump etc.

Q4 - Entirely up to you! Get a ride in one if you can, then make your own mind up. Most importantly, do it for you, it's your car. If you feel like you need more power then it's certainly the most cost-effective in terms of bhp/£. It depends entirely what you want from the car.

It does come with the Turbo, I will need the ECU if I go ahead so that'd be sick - I just need to decide now whether to buy it :|

You obviously don't mind boost for it to be a consideration, in which case F4RT all day long - sod tuning the N/A lump, I speak from experience! I just happen to really dislike boost so was never an option, however...... just buy a Meg if there is nothing wrong with your engine now?

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
yeah I've thought about it but would prefer to buy a megane where the car is designed to have the engine and everything around it. but if you don't mind and can afford it do whatever you want, at the end of the day its your car, enjoy it!

Basically,

I've come across an F4RT engine with Turbo, Injectors, and so on for £700 - The guy has said he'll keep it for me but I'll need to tell him this evening.

Pros & Cons please guys and a few Q's

Q1 - What else is needed, wiring loom is there but no ECU, I know I need a gearbox and driveshafts, and a custom downpipe are there anymore essentials?

Depends,you get a whole engine?(long block with tb,induction and all attachted to it)?

Q2 - Driving pleasure, is it more fun to drive the nuts of a normal screaming 200 or does the 225 provide more satisfying thrills?

Its very individual.. i prefer the n/a one .(i drive subie sti too and i still prefer the n/a) but its very subjective.

Q3 - Does £700 sound like a bargain or not?

Not from the uk so cant tell.
Q4 - Shall I do it?
Up to you but I wouldnt..
HELP D:
And pros/cons.. well..
Pros as i can think of atm are:tongueout:ower and the option for tuning.. .
Cons:
Weight maybe,reliability and for me atleast all i love in these n/a the turbo lack of them(sound ,behaviour )
Answers under your quotes.

Last edited:
Q4... NO!

:smiley:

Your car mate, only you can decide. Maybe a good way to help make your decision is to think carefully about what sort of driving you do and how you want the car to behave.

If you're going to track it a lot, you're soon going to want more power. That's pretty standard.

Personally, our car is enjoyed on winding back roads and once in the sweet spot the power is enough to keep you happy and give you enough thrills in my opinion. I'm a fully paid up member of the high revving NA brigade. Bear in mind, my other car is MUCH faster and I get pretty much an equal amount of thrills and fun from the Clio with a bone stock engine. And I'm certainly not the Miss Daisy type...

I always think that a new car should be thoroughly considered before going to the extent of an engine swap. You'll lose a lot of money come resale time and will have a fair few teething troubles to get through to get it running right, most likely. Where as if you put all that money into a pot and add the money you'd get for your Clio you could be looking at a very nice Megane.

Have you been in a converted Clio? If not then that's the most important thing to do next. Get a drive in a Megged one, then drive yours home like you stole it and it should make it pretty clear what you enjoy most and if it's worth putting a few grand into a swap.

Reactions: Pav and Jimmy