F4r oil pressure

samben

Gold Member
Anyone know roughly what oil pressure I should be seeing from my f4r at idle?

Thanks
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything from as low as 14psi with the oil hot, up to around 25 - 30psi from cold.

Don't be alarmed - the f4r's are notorious for shite oil pressure.

Reactions: Sean197
Phew ok, thought I had an issue there! is that why you did some work on the oil pump to improve that?

Thanks for the reply

Isn't it a case of just shimming the oil pump relief valve?

Isn't it a case of just shimming the oil pump relief valve?

No mate it's a bit more involved than that unfortunately. When my oil pump was shimmed, I had to remove the shims as it was generating over 100psi of hot oil pressure when under load, and iirc, it was making 90+psi with the oil cold at idle. Lol! Shims out and it made 82/84psi hot oil pressure under load.

At idle I was seeing 35-38psi with the oil hot with the shims out.

Ah ok, I've seen a previous post from yourself about the "hot cross bun" method on the oil pump, is this something you would still recommend?

No mate it's a bit more involved than that unfortunately. When my oil pump was shimmed, I had to remove the shims as it was generating over 100psi of hot oil pressure when under load, and iirc, it was making 90+psi with the oil cold at idle. Lol! Shims out and it made 82/84psi hot oil pressure under load.

At idle I was seeing 35-38psi with the oil hot with the shims out.

I know this thread is old, but I will give it a try.
What did you do to get that high pressure? My engine is getting rebuilt this winter (Clio R3).