Everything but the kitchen sink...

Dave W

Paid Member
Like most people indulging in motorsport in their Clio, this has been a quiet year to say the least. One advantage of it is the amount of money I haven't spent on entries.

So I'm considering doing a few things over this winter in one hit and I was wondering if anyone here has fitted any of the following to their 197/200 and could comment on performance or differences they've noted please.
Lightweight flywheel
Either a Quaife ATB or Gripper LSD
Gripper pinion shaft and 5:1 Final Drive

Thanks in advance
Dave

If the gearbox is coming out then the lightweight flywheel for sure. Gripper or Quaife? If you use it more on the road and want a more "fit and forget" option then Quaife is the best option.

The amount of road use is already pretty low to be honest but suspect that will be even more limited with a 5:1 FDU fitted. Have you fitted a flywheel to yours?

Not yet, though when the box comes out for its inevitable rebuild I'll get the diff and fly done then.

Like most people indulging in motorsport in their Clio, this has been a quiet year to say the least. One advantage of it is the amount of money I haven't spent on entries.

So I'm considering doing a few things over this winter in one hit and I was wondering if anyone here has fitted any of the following to their 197/200 and could comment on performance or differences they've noted please.
Lightweight flywheel
Either a Quaife ATB or Gripper LSD
Gripper pinion shaft and 5:1 Final Drive

Thanks in advance
Dave

With the FDU, highway driving will be pretty high up in the room band.

As for the diff, a Gripper requires maintenance every so often, which will mean pulling the gearbox and opening it up. I put in an ATB diff similar to a Quaife in mine, which is fit and forget. Ya I notice the diff takes a split second to kick in here and there, and it doesn't work with one wheel in the air, bit for track days plus daily driving it's enough for me.

I think I'm most likely to fit a Gripper LSD and Flywheel for next season, I can't decide on FDU yet. I know where the gearing will be, just don't know if the stack of extra shifts on a run will be paid off by improved acceleration. Maybe I fit it for the following year when the backlash is taken up on the diff.