Ever thought of going fancy?

Just been car shopping with my mate, and got me thinking really.

I know we all love our cars, and for outright fun, they are VERY hard to beat! But anyone ever thought of going for a car that looks really good and is a pleasure to sit in and drive leisurely. Rather than our Clio's, which still look good, but you know what I mean compared to some cars around. However, even considering saying that my CUP is a pleasure to sit in and a comfy drive, would be stupid.

The mate I was with today, picked up a lovely 60 plate A5 Sportback in white, and it was literally gorgeous! Sitting in it was lovely, lots of toys, and it felt like you were gliding on the road...

As soon as I got home, I found myself on autotrader looking at RangeRover Sports, Q7's, Mercs. Cars that look the part, but you know you'll hate it when you put your foot down, or cant go round a corner at 600mph.

Anyone else had it? What did you do to curb the thoughts?

Very nearly bought a TVR T350, but looked at pretty much everything... but couldnt justify it with my current employment situation! The Clio just does so many things very well

Never ever looked audis, its like saying id given up on driving. Had thoughts about a twisted style defender but then thought against it. Id say go jump in the cup to curb the thoughts of going for a soft car opton.

How a car looks is not an important factor to me. My number one priority is how much fun it is to drive. The thought of driving a diesel A5 for instance does not get me even slightly excited.

I also went car shopping today, had my clio since sep 2011 now, love it but its time for a change. Looks like im going for a new shape focus ST3 perfect compromise between speed fun comfort and optional extras. Clio went up for sale 15 mins ago.

I also went car shopping today, had my clio since sep 2011 now, love it but its time for a change. Looks like im going for a new shape focus ST3 perfect compromise between speed fun comfort and optional extras. Clio went up for sale 15 mins ago.

Can't blame you there, very good all rounder.

My mums got a Q7 shes pretty sound.

I'm just going on my current tally with them, had one try to drive head on at me recently while passing a parked vehicle despite the road being wide enough for 4 vehicles let alone our 3.
They always seem to have something to prove....

Always blokes driving them I've come across though, those wearing a shirt without a tie and looking like a director of a small company.

Last edited:
I know a couple of people from each group to be honest.
One lad is a complete tool, and he drives a rangey sport, but another lad is the nicest guy ever, will do anything for anyone and drives a Q7 :-/

How a car looks is not an important factor to me. My number one priority is how much fun it is to drive. The thought of driving a diesel A5 for instance does not get me even slightly excited.

I have been thinking about a diesel Audi and have come to the same conclusion

I've been trying to replace the clio for over year but nothing I've driven comes close for fun. There are plenty of cars in budget that do one thing or another better than the clio but none are such a great every day car. It's going to be impossible to replace, I can see myself running it until it dies

Ye, been looking at Mercs, BMWs and Audis. Quite like the look of a C-Class Estate 250 CDI.

Since my old man has pretty much talked about getting a G55 AMG so much I've now been brain washed into that being the next car of mine :smiley:

.........and then I wake up and smell the coffee