Engine won’t start after cam belt change

Hi everyone new to this forum,I have just changed the cam belt on my 197 and used the correct tools to time it back up.i also replaced all the plugs,now the car won’t fire up,it cranks over good but seems like there’s no spark,any ideas?

Hi welcome your not the first person to pop up with a problem you might want to joint the forum it's just £5 a year but there are other options it gives you access to the how to section as well as classifieds. So first I guess your ok changing timing belts on these engines and when was the last time the engine was running just before the work and was the engine swung about or any other work done at the same time like gearbox and the work didn't take place over a long period of time. It's a Clio cup so it has a key not a keycard is the fuel pump coming on and what's the immobilizer light doing. I would check for spark from the coil packs the old plugs should do save you pulling the new ones and make sure your using the right ones the parts online and in motor factors are normally wrong always get the part number and cross check never go by descrition or also fits listings they should be NGK PFR7Z-TG also check the flywheel pickup sensor fitted to the gearbox as the car will crank and not know when to fire and prone to failure.

Reactions: Beany
Thanks for the reply’s yes it has good compression ,the engine was running spot on last week,no issues at all,I decided to change it as it has high miles and couldn’t be verified when it was changed last.fuel pump is running fine it just doesn’t seem to want to fire.

Personally I'd check the timing first. Can you post a picture of the end of the cams where you put the locking tool?

Can you get a picture without the horseshoe in place? You may of timed it up with the cams 180 degrees out - it's simple to tell from a pic.

Personally I'd start fresh with the timing. Then as Turkie suggests, start looking elsewhere.

Ok I’ll have to pull the new seals out and get some more,if it was 180 out ,would there be any valve interference or not when cranking?

Thinking about it the timing tool was in from start to finish so the cams remained in the same position from when it was running,I’ll get a set of the plugs you suggested and see if that makes a difference

Fair enough. I'd start looking at things like the crank sensor like Turkie said.
Make sure it's not unplugged

Ok just pulled the cam plugs off again and it looks like the intake cam is a fair bit out,this picture is with the crank pin in.would that stop it starting being out that much,I don’t know how it’s moved when everything was locked in place

Attachments

• ECCAB181-B69D-403C-AACC-C74B44EF1FB9.jpeg
    ECCAB181-B69D-403C-AACC-C74B44EF1FB9.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 30