Engine Oil... confused.

Quick question and i know this has been covered before.
See, had mine serviced by Renault in MK in January and looking today on the invoice it states Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 - 5w-30 used as the oil used for the change.
Now checking on the forum (as I need to top up) it seems you are supposed to use a 5w-40 such as Elf Evolution. I am just asking as I need to top up? 5w-30 or 5W 40?
Anyone what do i top up with?
Foxspeed, you seem to be the expert on engines.

It needs to be something which meets Renault's RN0710 spec, which that Magnatec does not. (Why did they not use Elf Evolution?)

I wouldn't top it up: I'd look at getting it dropped and some correct oil putting in. I've used Castrol Edge FST and the Elf Evolution SXR, I'm sure there are plenty of other recommendations, [MENTION=205]oilman[/MENTION] will be your guy. I'm pretty sure my engine felt better on the Castrol Edge, though, but that might have just been placebo.

Joe

Im looking to use some Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 on the next oil change. It meets rn0700/rn0710 spec and its a french brand.

Quick question and i know this has been covered before.
See, had mine serviced by Renault in MK in January and looking today on the invoice it states Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 - 5w-30 used as the oil used for the change.
Now checking on the forum (as I need to top up) it seems you are supposed to use a 5w-40 such as Elf Evolution. I am just asking as I need to top up? 5w-30 or 5W 40?
Anyone what do i top up with?
Foxspeed, you seem to be the expert on engines.

i'd be asking renault MK the same question! and quickly!!

Hi

As far as I can tell, they haven't used the right stuff. As it should be a 0710 spec oil, it should be a 5w-40.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-898-rn0710-oil.aspx

There are a couple of Magnatecs that meet that spec, but they are 5w-40s

If they've used a 5w-30, it explains why it's burning off a bit. Unless you have been thrashing it, it shouldn't have caused any real harm (perhaps a little extra wear), but I would use a 5w-40 pretty quickly.

Cheers

Tim

Reactions: Malaysian 197
Yeah, I called Renault in milton keynes and they said was a typo error on the invoice, the check list shows 5w-40 but they could not tell what brand. "Its either castrol or Elf" !!!
But it is fully synthetic. A bit more relived. Yes, I do thrash it a bit. Unless I have a leak but no signs on Garage floor. Mileage on change approx 24500. Mileage now & needs topping 26900.

As [MENTION=205]oilman[/MENTION] says, it has to be worth getting the oil changed, just for your piece of mind. It's cynical to think it, but there's always a chance the dealer is just covering their arse by saying that - where's the proof that 5w40 is actually in there?? If it was me, I would get it changed to the correct - easier than sorting any damage that could potentially be caused...