Engine light on Check Emissions

Was leaving home at low speed, cold engine just now and the car started spluttering, almost cutting out for about 5-10 seconds, cleared up and then a minute-or-so later the spanner came on.

Parked it up, turned it off, turned it back on and put it in neutral and revved it a few times, didn't sound any different than normal, no flatspot but the light is still on.

Anyone know what this might be? It seems to have an intermittent flatspot too on the small-steady drive home I gave it.

Last edited:
Update: Does it when the car gets to about 20mph when cold, car won't go over 30 just sputters through it, made a clunking noise once but doesn't do it now.

Car seems fine when it's warm, goes from 0 above 30 fine, it's only when it's cold.

Sound serious?

The only thing I've changed recently is the fuel, I usually run Shell V but was running low so stuck £20 of Tesco normal fuel in.

Last edited:
I had sort of this, could be a coil pack? Get it plugged into the computer and they may be able to narrow it down

Cheers for the comments, from a few posts ive read on here I'm thinking it may be that or a bad batch of fuel from Tesco (I normally run V)

Going to run it dry and stick some V in, see if that makes a change, I can't be without a car this week so will have to go in to Renault next week.

It seems like something is messing with some kind of sensor and causing it to splutter, it just seems strange that it doesn't do it as bad when warm.

Thanks buddy, will do.

Its definitely only happens when cold. Struggles around 20-30mph regardless of gear, once temp is up it performs fine. Did 0-70 hitting the beep without any performance issues.

difficult to say exactly what it could be

if you can get hold of an obd2 scanner there may be a fault code stored to give a pointer to what it is...

have you just checked under the bonnet for anything lose etc

as it sounds like its running really lean when cold?

how many miles your car done? have the plugs been changed. mine did something similar now and again when cold, it would splutter abit and hold back, then say after half a mile would be ok. dont think i had the problem again after the 36K service when i had the plugs done.

Its on 25k, only does it when cold, was misfiring and popping earlier. Once it gets one notch away from upright on the temp gauge its fine, bone cold its fine, it is just the inbetween.

I warmed it up earlier before i drove it anywhere and it didn't have any problems, so its definitely related to the temp as to when it happens.

One of my neighbours has some form of computer for his TT, I'll see if it is compatible with my car.

so have your plugs been changed? on the cold map the engine is getting more fuel and air to get the engine up and running upto temp, if theres a slight problem with the plugs, ie old age then there maybe not enough spark to ignited the extra fuel on the cold start. like i said i had this with mine but not as bad as yours and from what i remember was cured after the 36K service. so i would try changing the plugs

checking for fault codes or if not then as said plugs checked as this is an easy job...

Cheers guys, I'll get it onto a computer and check the plugs.

It has been on quite a lot of short journeys lately, could this correspond to it?

may sound daft but is your service due with the spanner light on?dose sound like plugs could do with a change.

Still 8k until service, its only just had one, I wish it was that simple. haha.

like ive said it every 3 years/36k miles which ever is sooner. mine started beeing abit dodgey well before either

like ive said it every 3 years/36k miles which ever is sooner. mine started beeing abit dodgey well before either

I've only had the car a few months, but the previous owner mentioned nothing of changing them.

They are probably due a change to be fair, thanks for your help. I think I'll get some plugs regardless.