Dream house or dream car?

I've always been into house design and interiors as much as I've been into cars, I began to train as an architect but went another route, Ive got a nice house (in my eyes) but it doesn't exactly push the boundaries in the design sides of things which is what I really love to see in a house/building.

I built it about 14 years ago and my monies dictated what I built more than my imagination:-(

I've design books coming out my ears as I do octane mags! The dilemma is that I'm coming to a point where I could possibly afford a dream car in a couple of years (991 gt3) but I've just seen a 9.5 acre plot that I could possibly get planning on! My heads is in design overdrive, drive in garage with glass front, split levels, loads of big windows, flat/sloping zinc roof, rusted steel panels and cladding but to name a few ideas!

The only down side is the cars goes out the window if I did take the plunge!

Most of the site I'd plant in trees as you can get a grant to plant a forest and plonk the house in the middle of it as I'm quite a private person and don't want it sat out like a 'look at me' piece.

I know a house is just a place to live at the end of the day but for me it's a design challenge esp when a site like this comes up!

Tough call bud. But every time i've spoken to you; you mention the house first....the car's second.

That possibly says it all for me.

I'm not house-proud in anyway. The house is just the shell to me. Its what you do with the family inside and the memories you make that matter. If your current house is 'nice' then your quality of life won't improve exponentially with an upgrade. Although you will of course scratch your design itch at the very least.

So; spunk it on a load of fast depreciating, expensive to run and hard to live with cars gets my vote :smile:

Reactions: Cossers
Lol mate, the gt3 is a big draw tbh and I know that once I'd finished the house ide be looking for my next fix too! But do love great design.

It really is a hard one as I know the sale on such a bespoke house would also be hard both from a price point and design perspective too!

Tbh my quality of life won't improve in any way but it's my ' I reckon I could do that' thinking that gets me into theses projects! Lol

i'd be very excited to be in your situation..depends on what is closer to your heart really..im sure that the more sensible thing to do would be going for a house..
eventhough,i love cars and having a GT3 would make me wee in my pants everytime i'd open my garage doors,having a cool house must be awesome (living in a flat)..

House all day mate!

Its where you spend most of your time, relax, surf the internet, do whatever!

There will always be 100s of cars you can buy, GT3's included, but this might be a one off opportunity plot!

Thanks for the replies, that's why I posted here and thanks for taking the thread the way it was intended! I've got as much passion for design as I have cars and again it's the design/look aspect of the car that always gets me, it could handle like a milk float and be slow as but if I like the look of it I'm screwed! Lol

it's hard to broach this without coming across as 'look what I've got' type so thing but I'm so glad to see that's not how it's been took :smile:

I'll be honest and scare the shit out of me as it does, I, in all honesty am thinking of going for house!

The gamble for me is that there is no planning on the site and it's a very expensive field to by if I didn't get it! Let's put it this way, if I didn't get planning my new home would be like a scene from snatch with the addition on a new 'dag'! Lol (make sense if you have seen the film!)

Do the house 100%!!! im sure the house will only go up in value - cars come and go...

It's not always the case with houses, I'm still recovering from a £60k loss after the housing crash and depending where you live a lot of places are still well below the peak, the boom is certainly bust (unless you live in London etc).

If you can afford it then go for it, but bear in mind that interest rates are going to rise at some point which is probably what's going to snare the eager first time buyers and stagnate the market for more years to come... Its scary when young lads at work tell me they have taken out 30 or 35 year mortgages!

Lol, kart track! I think I'd prob be more along the lines of a motocross track! Tbh I hadn't even thought about the possibilities of a moto track, week in a digger would work wonders!

Put a bit more research in this week coming with the planning office :smile:

The thing is with the price, once you go over about 500k on Northern Ireland your market starts to limit, this finished would be a lot more and although I'd more than get what I put into it I think I'd struggle to sell it when the time arises! I'd plan a 10 year mortgage and it wouldn't be that big tbh so when I did sell it would all be profit so although I might not get what's it potentially worth I'd still make a few bob!

The only niggle I have is how people receive my ideas of design!

Contemporary builds aren't always received well :-(

Ps, when I had my first mortgage interest rates were around 7%

Last edited:
Reactions: sevenfourate
Ps, when I had my first mortgage interest rates were around 7%

And people who couldn't afford the repayments - we're leaving their homes to go stay at parents / friends etc and dropping their keys back off at the Estate Agents or the Bank on the way past.....

'Kids' today don't know how good they've got it :sunglasses:

Good luck whatever dream you chase.........

Similar Thread Suggestions