Does anyone drive a van on here?

Rogue

Platinum Member
I'm looking to buy a new van in the month or so for work and am limited as to what to get.

I've obviously looked at Trafics/Vivaro's. Surprise surprise, people moaning about the crappy gearboxes in them. (Do Renault actually make a decent 'box?!)

Nissan Primastar's apparently suffer from bad injectors and have had reports of people needing a new engine because you can't get them out.

Don't really want a Transit if I have too.

Vito's are too expensive, as are Transporters (Unless they're ridiculously high mileage).

Suggestions?!

The boss has a SWB low top Sprinter and loves it. Nice to drive as well and has a lot of kit on it like AC and Cruise Control. I gave it a good hiding down the lanes and it didn't shame itself. :smile:

Most people at my company have Berlingo vans, they all love them.

I need a medium sized van. I have a Relay and I hate it...absolutely basic as they come. I probably wouldn't buy a Citreon again unless I had too...

The Traffics are a decent van in all respects we've run loads of them over the last 8 or so years. I've driven pretty most large vans on sale (Citreon, Pug, Renault, VW, Merc, Ford, LDV etc.) and have to say the Traffic (type) van is the best to drive IMO.

They have their faults (Gearbox, Clutch and slave cylinder) but so does everything. They aren't guaranteed to go wrong, quite a few of ours work flawlessly for 100+k. Others are absolute money pits, the trick is to get them, keep them while the goings good and chop them in if they start to get a notchy box.

I've driven Transporters with nackered boxes, and bent driveshafts. Nothings indestructible.

I need a medium sized van. I have a Relay and I hate it...absolutely basic as they come. I probably wouldn't buy a Citreon again unless I had too...

The new ones aren't that bad, had one a few months back for a week while my Fiesta SportVan was in for repairs. The old ones are f*cking w*nk though.

Similar to the Kangoo van, the old ones were sh!te, but the new 100bhp 6spd ones are pretty decent (bar some 1980's turbo lag, and a fair bit of cabin noise).

We've got a VW Crafter which is the dogs, it's never skipped a beat. Nice and easy to drive and actually quite fun to hustle along.

Transporters are expensive but they're mega reliable and will be good if the Crafter is anything to go by. See if you can find a tidy high mileage one.

We've tried loads and the Transit is the best. It's so common parts are cheap and if its only yourself whos going to be driving it then itll get looked after and shouldnt cause you any problems.

Ours are used by different drivers every day and take some abuse regardless of what they tell us. The rwd/bigger engines are better than the fwd too. Weve had four of ours from new and theyre currently on circa 145k

As for Berlingo's I hate them, terrible van imo. Yes the do the job of a works vehicle but the wheel bearings are always going, discs are always warping with a bit of weight in them, the list goes on for us.

Im currently driving an Astra 1.7 sport van and love it. Its got aircon and everything, roll on the summer :lol:

We've got berlingos and dispatch's at work, berlingos are; annoyingly small, run out of screen wash every 3 days and have the most pathetic middle seat in the world. The dispatch is quite big in the back, but doesnt have much power when towing (we tow a scissor lift on a braked trailer, weighs about 2T) and the peddles are far too close together if driving while wearing work boots, however thats the only flaws i can think of with the dispatch.

The Traffics are a decent van in all respects we've run loads of them over the last 8 or so years. I've driven pretty most large vans on sale (Citreon, Pug, Renault, VW, Merc, Ford, LDV etc.) and have to say the Traffic (type) van is the best to drive IMO.

They have their faults (Gearbox, Clutch and slave cylinder) but so does everything. They aren't guaranteed to go wrong, quite a few of ours work flawlessly for 100+k. Others are absolute money pits, the trick is to get them, keep them while the goings good and chop them in if they start to get a notchy box.

I've driven Transporters with nackered boxes, and bent driveshafts. Nothings indestructible.

I hear Renault changed the gear box a few years ago, and took the Laguna one out? Do you know which?

I'm looking at a Vivaro at them moment, but it's about a 2 hour drive from me. Ex Sky van

Not sure to be honest, but it does sound possible, our latest batch which we're in the process of getting rid of are all 08/09 plates with 90-150k on them and to my knowledge we've had no box failures (we had about 6 or 7 of them). We have had one or two clutch slave cylinders go pop on them though.

The older ones we got rid of a few years back were 03-05 plate and we had several box issues. One '03 plate van in particular ate two boxes in two years, was sold on then had clutch issues with the next owner.

Hi Pete how old and what mileage we get a fantastic del on mec's the co as 180 trucks and vans I can as David the sales guy just see what he can do for you???

Not sure to be honest, but it does sound possible, our latest batch which we're in the process of getting rid of are all 08/09 plates with 90-150k on them and to my knowledge we've had no box failures (we had about 6 or 7 of them). We have had one or two clutch slave cylinders go pop on them though.

The older ones we got rid of a few years back were 03-05 plate and we had several box issues. One '03 plate van in particular ate two boxes in two years, was sold on then had clutch issues with the next owner.

Handy to know that! Cheers!

oh vans takes me back a bit :coffee:

used to buy 1000's of them over the years!

transit still the best by far!!!

the vauxhall/nissan/renault vivaro jobbie is ok as well

fiat ducato were also very much improved...

like everything all depends on budget and of course owner/history!

We run a fleet of 50ish Merc Sprinters, from SWB to LWB. They are forever breaking down, we'll have at least 5 vans go down during a normal week. 7 have had complete new engines from germany, loads have had new gearboxes, nearly all have had shocks replaced. Engine management lights are a constant pain and not to mention all the bloody recalls the things have.
Ours are worked very very hard and run at the 3.5t limit everyday. Saying all that, they are still the best van about.

We have a fleet of the 150 bhp primastars no injector faults but lots of gearbox problems but we are fully loaded all of the time.

Nissan Primastars apparently suffer from bad injectors and have had reports of people needing a new engine because you can't get them out.

The Trafic, Vivaro and Primastar are all the same van with the same engine. Injectors often get stuck in the head, but there's been a special tool to remove them for years now... so the people saying you need a new engine are con artists out to make a quick buck.

They're pretty good, PH3 ones being the most refined. M9R 2.0 dCi is the best engine, old F9Q 1.9 is a bag of w@nk.

The primastars seem to be more loaded spec wise. Air con, parking sensors, electric etc for the same or less ££ but the reviews on the net are appalling