Do I need to replace the dephaser with the cambelt?

Hi guys

Firstly I'm sure this has been covered before so apologise if I have missed it.

Is it really necessary to change the dephaser pulley when the cambelt is done?

It has no service history but seems to have been quite well looked until the last couple of owners.

Hi guys

Firstly I'm sure this has been covered before so apologise if I have missed it.

Is it really necessary to change the dephaser pulley when the cambelt is done?

It has no service history but seems to have been quite well looked until the last couple of owners.

Looked in to this recently and you will always get mixed answers, people say they don't need doing as they weren't an issue on the 197/200 and some will say yes they do need doing.

Personally for the extra £100 or so, I would be (and I am) having mine changed along with the cambelt, aux belt and water pump on Monday.

It would be a nightmare if you spent all the money on everything except the dephaser, then you had some bad luck and the dephaser failed - at least this way you will have the peace of mind knowing it's done.

It’s general best practice to replace everything whilst your having the timing belt done as Matt has said if something then fails it’s all got to be re done

Reactions: Johnny 99
Supposedly the 197 / 200 dephasers are all but bullet-proof.

Like all here though, i replaced mine with genuine Renault parts at the same time timing belt, aux belt, cam seals, water pump etc was done. Although you're already quite far in financially if you're having timing belt done; to skimp £100 seems false economy long-term to me...

Good Luck !

Thing is I'm doing it myself and I only paid 2k for the car. It's not that I wont replace it if it does actually need doing but on the r26 Renault say even the cam pulley needs to be changed with the belt!