Discs and Pads - better option than MTEC?

CallorFold

Platinum Member
Car is only used on the road, no track use.

Need both discs and pads for all 4 corners.

I've priced up from MTEC -
Front Drilled Only Discs (£87.99) + Brembo Pads (£36) = Total £123.99
Rear Drilled Only Discs (149.99) + Mintex Pads (£14.69) = Total £164.68

Is this the best value for money set up? I don't require huge performance, nor do I wish to spend more than I need to.

Alternatives/other recommended options? Anything better for circa ~£300?

There aren't any other options tbh apart from OEM discs (which are overpriced for the rear set). I'll be going for what you've listed myself for all four corners soon enough as it's the best value. Are you going to be getting the discs coated?

I got myself a bosch discs set for front and pads will be ferodo ds performance or brembo(oe ones) and i heard the bosch is better than the oe brembos

Last edited:
There aren't any other options tbh apart from OEM discs (which are overpriced for the rear set). I'll be going for what you've listed myself for all four corners soon enough as it's the best value. Are you going to be getting the discs coated?

Yeah if I go for the MTEC discs, I'll be going for the silver coating on all 4 discs :smile: not too keen on the black coating.

Last edited:
best and cheapest option out there really..you will be happy with them mate...mtec are a very decent make..i have got them on mine and they perform great..done a few track days too...
dont bother having them coated..save that money and diy..

The coating is nonsense anyway as after 10 miles its rubbed off lol
But it's only rubbed off the surface that makes contact with the pads preventing the rest of the surface rusting no?

Yeah if I go for the MTEC discs, I'll be going for the silver coating on all 4 discs :smile: not too keen on the black coating.
Nice :smiley: I'm still in two minds about the silver compared to the black. I'd love to see someone with the gold ones though!

Last edited:
Yeah another vote for MTEC here, best value imo. Having said that, I got OEM spec Mintex discs and pads which were the same price as the MTEC bundle. The reason I got the Mintex was due to the garage I used being able to order and receive them quicker than I could get them from MTEC.

Just placed my order for the MTEC discs - came to £290 total (they have 10% promo code "NEW10") and also got free 500ml bottle brake fluid for spending £100+

Will throw some pics up when they arrive :smile:

ItemSkuQtySubtotal
Silver Edition Protective Coating For 4 MTEC Brakes Performance Brake Discs (Silver Edition 4 Discs)50001081£25.00
MTEC1539 Drilled Brake Discs30019631£87.99
MTEC1781 Drilled Brake Discs60097381£149.99
P68036 Brembo Brake PadP680361£36.00
MDB1382 Mintex Brake PadsMDB13821£14.69
MTEC Brakes High Performance Brake And Clutch Fluid Dot 5.1 500ml60099861£7.99
Subtotal£321.66
Shipping & Handling£0.00
Discount (Free Brake Fluid with Discs and Pads, New 10% Discount on Brake Discs, Free UK Mainland Shipping)-£31.79
Grand Total (Excl.Tax)£241.56
UK-TAX (20%)
£48.31
Tax£48.31
Grand Total (Incl.Tax)£289.87

Have my mtec on mine and sick of the ticking noise coming off the drilled and slotted discs. Sounding like the rears. I think sticking with a vented high carbon disc is the best way forward with good pads!

I went for the same as you (albeit with a black protective coating instead) 8). @krash67 that's exactly why I didn't go for the grooved discs. Quite a few people say they make annoying noises and since I drive with my windows open, it would really get to me

I went for the same as you (albeit with a black protective coating instead) 8). @krash67 that's exactly why I didn't go for the grooved discs. Quite a few people say they make annoying noises and since I drive with my windows open, it would really get to me

Yeah I had read about the noise with grooved discs so just went for drilled. They're being fitted Friday :smile: then following that it's time for all 4 wheels to be refurbed, get everything looking fressssh :smiley:

Brakes and pads all done and fitted for the very reasonable sum of £65. Took the car out for a blast this morning and it seems to have much more stopping power than before (not sure which pads it had fitted, but pretty sure discs were OEM).

Luckily I bought some new pins too as 1 of them bent/broke getting it out.

Please excuse the disgusting state of the alloys, both filthy and requiring a full refurb (that's next on the list!)

j7z1gg.jpg

15ouff4.jpg

They're really good brakes for the price, glad you like them so far. I'm very happy with mine, had the fronts on about a year now and been impressed with them.

Just ordered the same drilled discs and pad setup as CallerFold.l know some people have had noise issues with grooved discs,was wondering if the
same noise issues effect the drilled discs,

Just ordered the same drilled discs and pad setup as CallerFold.l know some people have had noise issues with grooved discs,was wondering if the
same noise issues effect the drilled discs,
the noise people refer to is absolutely fine..cant even hear it most of the time..its like a jet taking off..quite cool noise actually..you will like it..