Differences between 197, R27 and 200?

I am new to this, and am sure this has been covered before, but 5min of searching hasn't shown up the answer, so please forgive me.

What are the actual differences between the 197, 197 R27, and 200?

I know the 200 is based on the facelifted Clio, but it looks like it has retained the early Mk3's rear end, tail lamps, fuel flap, etc. rather than taking the facelift car's parts?

Are there any mechanical differences aside from a map?

Is an R27 essentially just a F/F 197 with Cup chassis and decals, or is there more to it?

Mine is just an early F/F 197, what am I missing out on?

Please educate me, I need answers!

Thanks!!

As far as I know you are spot on. The R27 also has a plaque with the production number on it 1 to 500. The R27 only had the Cup pack and this, everything else were options as on the FF.

I think the 200 has some mechanical differences, but not sure what exactly.

Apparently early 197s have different gear ratios to later ones, I think it is after 2008, which makes 6th gear slightly lower revs at 70 mph and the ECU was updated to address the kangerooing slightly. It still does it though! Other than that I don't think they changed anything untill the 200.

theres three versions to the 197, FF 197, 197 cup and the special edition 197 r27 F1 which was to comerated renault winning the 2006 F1, the f1 has cup suspension but retains the luxerys like keycard, climate control recaros as standard

the 200 is the facelift of the 197, consisting of new front end (bumpers/headlights) and new diffusser which is painted and got crome looking rings where the exhaust tailpipes are, as well as that different map and newer gearbox ratio compared to the newer box in the 197, shorter 1st 2nd and 3rd and longer 4th 5th and 6th. also the cup suspension is alot stiffer on the 200 then the 197 cup

Last edited:
Interesting stuff thanks, so crucially the R27 is basically a FF, with the best bits of the options list, a plaque and some decals. R26 was a bit more special than that wasn't it, gaining LSD and a touch more power.

Longer 6th would be nice, but not the end of the World. Revised ECU map could also be good, but if the lumpy engine when cold is still there, then probably isn't worth the £70-80 that the local dealer would chage - and I might already have it!

I am still v. interested to know the differences between a late 197 and a 200, and am suprised about the rear end staying the same - does the 197 have unique rear wings?

the R27 didnt come with climate control as standard. Standard items included the cup chassis, Recaro seats, hands free key card, and numbered plaque along with decals. The 200 is as stiff as a 197 cup was, the 200 Cup is even stiffer. They have 3bhp more aswell.

The facelift Clio had a revised rear end which included new light clusters. They moved the fog lights low into the bumper. Because of the diffuser on the 200, they cannot accomodate the fog lights in the new lower position, so they kept the old lights which have the fog built in.

Last edited:
Yes, the 197 has wider rear arches than a standard Clio. If you look at the rear light cluster there is a lip from the arch. The standard Clio sits flush. I'm not sure if the light clusters will fit from the new shape Clio, but the reason they don't use them is because they don't incorperate the fog lights. So I dare say they'd fit, but you would probably have to modify the bulb holder because of there not being any fogs.

The 197/200 is made at the old Alpine factory in Dieppe,now the Renault sport factory.
the RS Clio uses Wheels, front struts,suspension, brakes,bodywork and engine along with many other parts not found on standard Clios ,it also has a longer wheel base and wider track.
The 200 has the 3rd gen gearbox and makes power lower down than the 197.

Does the 200 have any suspension/chassis differences from the 197 other than slightly stiffer springs/dampers? just wondering as I was reading through this months Top Gear Mag and they claim the Clio 200 to be the best hot hatch in the world, but they also mention is uses the type of suspension setup as on the the meg 250 and the new gen Focus RS that ford call "Revo Knuckle" (not sure when renault call it?) to help reduce torque steer? Just wondering if this was the same on the 197's?

Yes its the same on the 197 ,off set front hub on the strut ,and Renault had it way before Ford,also some alloy parts fitted.
renault_clio_r3_34.JPG

renault_clio_r3_50.JPG

Last edited:
the R27 didnt come with climate control as standard. Standard items included the cup chassis, Recaro seats, hands free key card, and numbered plaque along with decals. The 200 is as stiff as a 197 cup was, the 200 Cup is even stiffer. They have 3bhp more aswell.

The facelift Clio had a revised rear end which included new light clusters. They moved the fog lights low into the bumper. Because of the diffuser on the 200, they cannot accomodate the fog lights in the new lower position, so they kept the old lights which have the fog built in.

All correct, only I'm sure the 200 is softer than the 197 and the 200 cup firmer than the 197 cup.. Renault wanted a larger variation between the two.

Reactions: SimboRS
197 has a few problems low end out of the factory but simple mods sort that out. coilis sort the suspension out the cup pack was too crashy and didnt seem to want to hold the road as well as i thought it mite. 200 is pushin 197 brake 200PS (if ure lucky)

What are the differences between standard and cup chassis', aside from different springs and different coloured calipers?

on the 197 - thicker anti roll bar and its the springs and damper that are stiffer.

on the 200 - same again plus a quicker steering rack.

Does the 200 have any suspension/chassis differences from the 197 other than slightly stiffer springs/dampers? just wondering as I was reading through this months Top Gear Mag and they claim the Clio 200 to be the best hot hatch in the world, but they also mention is uses the type of suspension setup as on the the meg 250 and the new gen Focus RS that ford call "Revo Knuckle" (not sure when renault call it?) to help reduce torque steer? Just wondering if this was the same on the 197's?

Yes, it's the same ''type''. Actually, it's a ''Double Axis'' setup. It was Ford's clever marketing decision to communicate the ''Revo Knuckle'' lay out but i wouldn't say the same about Renault's marketing gurus. Renault was a pioneer in Double Axis with the Clio RS but nobody heard of it.

No, same width. You can even switch out the fronts without much trouble from what I get.

Some additonal things that weren't mentioned so far.

The Cup suspension lowers the car about ~7mm.
The steering rack of the Cup is 7,5% quicker (that's at least the case for the 200 Cup but I'd guess goes for the 197 Cup as well).
The upper strut bearing area of the front of the 200 is slightly different and has a smaller hole in the mount. This is relevant in so far as the smaller hole allows for less (negative) camber adjustment with aftermarket suspensions. Therefore a 197 may actually be better suited for building a track tool.