Did I mention I lost my car?

Did I mention I lost my car? Update.

You might recall me having a bump nearly a month ago? well I still haven't seen her since Direct line arranged collection for the repair. They booked her into a repair centre who went bust a couple of weeks ago and now the car apparantly belongs to the administrators. No update, no calls, they said it's between me and the garage. I told them I had better report the car stolen and incriminate Direct Line in the theft and low and behold a hire car comes to my door. They are now busting a gut to get things resolved but it's changed my opinion of Direct Line and their aftercare.

Lesson here folks is make sure it goes to your insurers chosen garage otherwise if this happens to you you are in sh1t street.

Last edited:
thats an awful situation to be in mate, i really feel for you! can you not contact the dvla and prove its your car, try and reclaim it that way?!

hope it gets resolved quickly!

is it not meant to be a car of 'Simular status' ?

Tricky situation. Direct Line offer a hire car up to 21 days from the accident. This is now 1 month from the accident so technically they don't have to supply a hire car at all. However, as they have admitted this situation has nothing really to do with the accident they have decided to supply a car immediately. I did offer to report the car as stolen to the police and that got a reaction!

thats an awful situation to be in mate, i really feel for you! can you not contact the dvla and prove its your car, try and reclaim it that way?!

hope it gets resolved quickly!

The V5 shows it's mine but Direct Line have asked me to stay out of it until they sort it on a legal basis. Now at least I am mobile I can get around instead of the damn bus.

The V5 shows it's mine but Direct Line have asked me to stay out of it until they sort it on a legal basis. Now at least I am mobile I can get around instead of the damn bus.

yeah i suppose its an improvement! i know i would have itchy fingers, wanting to go get it back. if you paid your excess to direct line it wouldn't be theft but its prob safer to let it be and hope its resolved quickly

thats really sucks mate, really feel for you. I had a massive arguement with direct line a few years ago after they tried to take me for a ride. I haven't use them since, and I shall never use them again

Mate that is a bizarre situation... hope you get everything sorted out.

I don't see why you havn't gone to the police as that would be my first port of call. **** the insurance company - they don't give a shit how long it takes. The garage don't own your car and it can therefore not be used as an asset by the administrators. If you contact the police and inform them of the current location of your car then you are within legal rights to go with them and literally take it back.

Mate that is a bizarre situation... hope you get everything sorted out.

I don't see why you havn't gone to the police as that would be my first port of call. **** the insurance company - they don't give a shit how long it takes. The garage don't own your car and it can therefore not be used as an asset by the administrators. If you contact the police and inform them of the current location of your car then you are within legal rights to go with them and literally take it back.

My solicitor advised me to give them a 72 hour deadline for release and then report it stolen. KPMG (Administrators) called me following my threat to call the police. They are claiming that RBS (who own Direct Line) are witholding payment for repair work as they believe that they will have no recourse should the work that has been carried out comes into question at a later date. Direct Line won't be able to claim back if the works shoite. It's not only my car by the way, many others are in the same boat.

I offered to pay for the work myself and then Direct Line can refund me but they won't have any of it as they know I would open a dispute immediately with my credit card company.

Methinks I might give Insurance Times a call next week and provide them with a nice little column in current affairs!!

I will hopefully post success pictures if/when I get the car back.

blimey i would go get it couldnt have my beautifull car just sat there whilest people squabble over money and rights a legal stuff haha but good luck to you mate hope it all get sorted very soon

WTF?? Good luck mate hope you get it back soon!

Personally i wouldn't feel right driving my car after that, I would feel like my car had been invaded or something :frown: But then again im slightly weird. lol

Updated, car returned from thieving basta***

Jesus H Christ. So after more fobbing off by both parties I find out at lunchtime that two "families" were re-issued with their cars as a gesture of goodwill. I absolutely lost it with the administrators who called me back in 10 minutes flat to give me my car. I had to go and get it but at least it's returned to it's rightful owner.

When I got on site the KPMG guy came to reception acting like he had done me a favour. I told him what I thought of his practises and how the Financial Ombudsman was going to be in touch.

glad you have got it back bud bet its a good feeling! cant believe how much you have been messed about over it! yeah i would have lost it over that too they couldnt get away with giving it back to some people and not others!

might be a daft question but have you had the work done on it yet? if so i hope they did a bloody good job!