Dash cam power from under sig lighter?

Has any one wired up a dash cam to take power from under the sig lighter?
Currently its just using the usual plug sticking out and I want to wire/solder it up nicely.

Pics of the wires would be great, cheers.

Just been out and here is a pic of it: Remove fuse, plug in tap, old fuse in bottom, new fuse on top.

IMAG0540-750x410.jpg

Use a fuse tap from the fuse box under the cover just to the left and below of the steering wheel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inline-10...748523?hash=item541f33e8eb:g:OooAAOSwv0tVWzMy

Just used one for my oil gauge install, super neat and no splicing etc required.

Bloody hell that's genius, I didn't know that even existed! USB cables have 4 wires inside, but i'll only need to use 2 of them which is live and ground.

I guess you put the live to that little fuse tap and ground it else where?

EDIT:
is the sig lighter 10amp then?

Last edited:
Bloody hell that's genius, I didn't know that even existed! USB cables have 4 wires inside, but i'll only need to use 2 of them which is live and ground.

I guess you put the live to that little fuse tap and ground it else where?

EDIT:
is the sig lighter 10amp then?

yeah it's a pretty sweet invention. I don't know what size the ciggy fuse is? But with the fuse tap you're free to put in a fuse for what ever size the dash cam needs? Halfords sell mini blade fuse bundles for a couple of quid which range from 2.5A to 30A.

Yeah crimp the power live from the USB to the tap, and for the earth I used an existing one behind the air vent and it's accessible from the side cover when the door is open. But that is because my gauge is in the vent, I would think for a dash cam I reckon an earth behind the stereo seems to be a probably place they'll be one.