Cup racer vs cup spoiler

I've just bought a cup spoiler which is now being painted and literally found out an hour ago that a "cup racer" spoiler exists :blush:

Feel a little cheated!

Any pics/ description of said differences?

So far I can tell the brackets are in a different place.

Litchy has the actual Cup version.

I think it's at a slightly different angle and the mounts are different. But it looks pretty much the same as the road Cup version.

Cup spoiler is steeper.....Anything easy to steal if you want it bad enough. Cup racer attaches a little different but the same effect.....

Last edited:
Cup spoiler is steeper.....Anything easy to steal if you want it bad enough. Cup racer attaches a little different but the same effect.....

it also sits slightly lower and looks alot better from the rear,R sport in wimbledon supply them

The point was the fixings are externally exposed on the racer but not on the road spoiler, neither do much if anything anyway.

Im sure they do, I've got a feeling that if you have a cup spoiler the rear of your car will not get as dirty.

Hear me out. I've done a little aero studies so far, and on hatch backs the air flows over the roof in a laminar form and when it gets to the end it just drops off. There is no clean route for it to take, this is the same under the car. Therefore creating turbulent air, this drags all the **** from the road, air and exhaust all over the rear. So if you add a cup spoiler it keeps the air going about 6" beyond the rear end of the roof, so this drop off on the air happens later creating less turbulent air directly onto the rear of the car.

That is my from limited knowledge in the area.

If the cup spoiler is lower and has a steeper angle surely this is for a reason on the racer to give the rear end some additional weight (downforce), as there is no rear weight in the car. Otherwise it would be the same for the road car?

That last bit is an assumption, not totally sure

Discuss.

In short iirc the race version is mounted with accessible alan key.

RUK have said (wether you believe them or not) that the mount is the only difference between the two.

My cup spoiler could not sit much lower as it is a struggle getting a mf cloth in between it and the boot lid.

Its not an uncommon course these days, a lot of Unis do it,
The trick is to find a degree that incorporates a lot of practical work and actually attend race meetings- like mine! :smile:

Oh really, :O where are you doing it?
This is where Im a jammy sod!

Im actually doing it at a college! Which therefore is only 2k per year! but I am studying a degree, so therefore everyone on the course is my age etc etc. WIN WIN!

Im at Havering college (formerly Thames Gateway College), we race under the name of TGC still, with plenty of links into many forms of motorsport and teams later on. Too many to list. :smile:

Coventry mate. We race under phoenix racing but aren't racing atm due to 'financial issues'. Still doing formula student however. Pretty cool course don't you think? Yeah the links to the sport are decent, but highly competitive.