Creatine Monohydrate

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
Done quite a lot of research on it, but I'm curious on whether or not anyone on here has used it before/after a resistance workout and what their thoughts are on it.

I've ordered some that's been delivered so will try it for my workout today but from what I can tell there's a 'loading' period of a week or so before it starts to work properly.

For those who've got no idea what I'm on about:

"Creatine helps to regenerate a molecule called adenosine triphosphate (ATP), your body's main source of energy. When creatine stores in your muscles are depleted, the production of ATP comes to a screeching halt and your energy is dramatically decreased"

You must have been in serious shape doing all that, especially that much cycling, I'm impressed!

Yeah I'm eating plenty of meat/veg and I drink so much milk it's ridiculous.

This creatine stuff is ridiculously cheap and apprently helps you get that extra 10% out of each workout so the cost/benefit factor is really good I'm just curious to get someone's opinion who's actually used it :smile:

I used to smash supplements years ago but only ever used creatine ethyl ester in tablet form. If you've got a mono powder make sure you mix it with something as it tastes hideous on it's own.

There's a lot of mixed reviews and research on creatine, personally I found I could lift more in the gym, like an extra 10% but that could have just been a placebo.

I take protein and BCAA's these days and that's it. I'm by no means a fitness expert though.

Reactions: Dystant
You must have been in serious shape doing all that, especially that much cycling, I'm impressed!

Yeah I'm eating plenty of meat/veg and I drink so much milk it's ridiculous.

This creatine stuff is ridiculously cheap and apprently helps you get that extra 10% out of each workout so the cost/benefit factor is really good I'm just curious to get someone's opinion who's actually used it :smile:
received_1256748564354794.jpeg @Dystant 1991

I used to take creatine and I found that it made no difference in terms of the amount of weight I could lift. Also didn't notice any difference when it came to body weight/water retention. However what didn't work for me may very well work for you!

I've been on and off at the gym for quite a few years now - although never got very serious. I have heard really good things about the Kre-Alkalyn creatine tablets - No loading, no bloating and good results in respect of being able to lift more. Just need 1 tablet pre and 1 tablets post workout (2 pre and 2 post if you're over a certain weight)
Link: http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/all-american-efx-kre-alkalyn-efx-120-capsules/3938/?ladid=uk

I've tried the powder stuff before and got fed up of faffing about even before the end of the loading period.

Reactions: DS197
I think all this stuff is just hype and my gym owner thinks the same. I just go to maintain fitness levels, I hear plenty of talk around the gym, pre this post that, I just try and eat as healthy as possible with plenty of protein etc.

yeah i used to take this..was about 8 years ago though :excited:
i could see a difference..you should drink plenty of water with it too..and that's the trick I guess..creatine and water make your muscles grow but once you stop.you will shrink like a puffy fish :poke:
that's how it works I believe..so i rate it well..

Last edited:
I think all this stuff is just hype and my gym owner thinks the same. I just go to maintain fitness levels, I hear plenty of talk around the gym, pre this post that, I just try and eat as healthy as possible with plenty of protein etc.
Thing is though there's a wealth of information out there and it's easy to find as well. I would always suggest that people do their research rather than take the opinion of someone as gospel (not talking about you in particular mate, i've just seen a lot of people take silly advice from others who are in no position to hand it out). Here are a couple of links that may help those who are perhaps unsure or lurking in this thread:

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/creatine (Supporting research at the bottom)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12701815
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3407788/

Also if anyone has seen an academic paper or journal they like the look of but can't access it feel free to pm me as I can usually get access through my uni.

Last edited:
I used to smash supplements years ago but only ever used creatine ethyl ester in tablet form. If you've got a mono powder make sure you mix it with something as it tastes hideous on it's own.

There's a lot of mixed reviews and research on creatine, personally I found I could lift more in the gym, like an extra 10% but that could have just been a placebo.

I take protein and BCAA's these days and that's it. I'm by no means a fitness expert though.

Didn't get tablets got powdered form, and to be honest the taste wasn't too bad but it doesn't dissolve so it's like drinking water with sand in it :tearsofjoy:

How come you stopped taking it by the way if you felt like it was helping?

I used to take creatine and I found that it made no difference in terms of the amount of weight I could lift. Also didn't notice any difference when it came to body weight/water retention. However what didn't work for me may very well work for you!

How long did you try taking it for? I believe your supposed to do a sort of load period when you start where you take more for the first week or two, maybe you need to do that before you see the benefits.

How long did you try taking it for? I believe your supposed to do a sort of load period when you start where you take more for the first week or two, maybe you need to do that before you see the benefits.
I took it for about a year and a half mate. I may try the capsules when I get back into it. The powder was too much hassle for me!

I took it for about a year and a half mate. I may try the capsules when I get back into it. The powder was too much hassle for me!

Ah fair enough! Maybe it's just less effective for some people then.

The way I see it, it was £6 for 100 doses so it's really cheap, and it's definitely not going to do any harm so it's worth trying :smiley:

I've been on and off at the gym for quite a few years now - although never got very serious. I have heard really good things about the Kre-Alkalyn creatine tablets - No loading, no bloating and good results in respect of being able to lift more. Just need 1 tablet pre and 1 tablets post workout (2 pre and 2 post if you're over a certain weight)
Link: http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/all-american-efx-kre-alkalyn-efx-120-capsules/3938/?ladid=uk

I've tried the powder stuff before and got fed up of faffing about even before the end of the loading period.

I may try these tablets when this powder I've got runs out, thanks for the link I'll bookmark it :smiley:

yeah i used to take this..was about 8 years ago though :excited:
i could see a difference..you should drink plenty of water with it too..and that's the trick I guess..creatine and water make your muscles grow but once you stop.you will shrink like a puffy fish :poke:
that's how it works I believe..so i rate it well..

Yeah plenty of water is recommended as it causes your muscles to suck in a lot of water (hence the size increase) so there's danger of becoming dehydrated.

To be fair I'm training for strength at the moment (low rep range) and not mass, so the additional reps it will allow me to do is more beneficial to me than the size increase in the muscle I might see, so I won't be that fussed about 'deflating' when I stop taking it :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pav
My view on this is you have the older generation like myself who go the gym and not take any pills or potions and just work hard on their fitness and physique. The younger ones have an image to portrait so come in drinking this shake for this and that shake for that and end up strutting their stuff around the gym with big chests and arms in skin tight tops with skinny legs and woman's leggings on. Makes us laugh. Each to their own though. Enjoy the mood swings that you 'dont' get taking all that stuff.

Reactions: Jimmy and Sean197