197: Creaking noise! Advice please!

Hi guys,

I've read problems similar the one I'm having on many, many Ford and Vauxhall forums.. but I wondered if anyone could help on here.

Recently, I'm talking over the last 2 weeks - My 197 ( 57 plate ) has developed a horrible creaking sound when turning left at low speeds.

It isn't not effecting the handling of the car in any way shape or form, but it's worrying to say the least.

Anyone else had this problem, or believe I have reason to worry? Quite simply don't want to have to fork out loads of cash on suspension parts :worried:

Advice welcome!!!!

Cheers

Sam

Hi guys,

I've read problems similar the one I'm having on many, many Ford and Vauxhall forums.. but I wondered if anyone could help on here.

Recently, I'm talking over the last 2 weeks - My 197 ( 57 plate ) has developed a horrible creaking sound when turning left at low speeds.

It isn't not effecting the handling of the car in any way shape or form, but it's worrying to say the least.

Anyone else had this problem, or believe I have reason to worry? Quite simply don't want to have to fork out loads of cash on suspension parts :worried:

Advice welcome!!!!

Cheers

Sam

i had this on my fiesta. it was the bar that connected to the tortion bar to the shock. iirc it was about £12. the problem was that the ball joint had completly siezed. i rang andrew page and described what part i needed and they sorted it for me. dont know how much it may be for the clio though! only took about 30 mins to do too! good luck!

i had this on my fiesta. it was the bar that connected to the tortion bar to the shock. iirc it was about £12. the problem was that the ball joint had completly siezed. i rang andrew page and described what part i needed and they sorted it for me. dont know how much it may be for the clio though! only took about 30 mins to do too! good luck!

How much did the labour cost you buddy?

How much did the labour cost you buddy?

did it myself mate. take wheel and you can see the bar what im talking about. me and my mate did it. it is pretty simple. id say there is no more than an hours work involved in it mate. thats if its the same on the clio. you might need special tools knowing renault!

did it myself mate. take wheel and you can see the bar what im talking about. me and my mate did it. it is pretty simple. id say there is no more than an hours work involved in it mate. thats if its the same on the clio. you might need special tools knowing renault!

Would you deem it really unsafe to drive the car any longer like it? Should I have the same problem.

get it looked at if your unsure you cant make guesses over the internet with regards to problems that developed on other cars

the 197 front end is different to most cars!

Last edited:

That sounds like the anti roll bar drop link your talking about but as foxspeed said get it looked at by a mechanic.

Lots of joints in our suspension so a few possibilities.

On full lock at low speeds a graunching (dry noise) noise is often drive shaft cv joints on the way. Depends if that could be deemed as creaking. Could be lots of other suspension parts tho.