Crankshaft Pulley Issues?

Denners15

Gold Member
Hi all,

since I’ve owned my 197 I have a strange noise which sounds like an in sync judder when the car is running, the noise is coming from the left side of the engine and I’ve had full cambelt changed and clutch etc. Can only be heard at low revs.

Could this be the harmonic damper perishing causing more vibrations through the engine? Or possibly even AC pulley/Alternator. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or noise. Did a quick run with the aux belt of and noise was slightly reduced.

I know without hearing it, it would be hard to determine but just want to know if anyone has experienced issues with their pulley. Renault recommend you change this during belt changes but that wasn’t common knowledge to me at the time.
Cheers
Alex

Left side of the engine when standing looking at it or sitting in the car?
Most dampers are designed for lifetime or at least half that. I've never heard of an engine manufacturer (I've been in engine and vehicle dev for 30 years) who schedules a TV damper change with the belt. De-Phaser yes, TVD a new one on me.

Left side looking at the engine, around the Auxillary belt area. And just to confirm dephaser has also been replaced during cambelt change. Noise was present before and after cam belt was done.

Aux belt and tensioner was replaced during cambelt, also made no difference to the noise. It’s a tricky one as it’s quite hard to diagnose and don’t want to end up spending 160 for a pulley that’s not needed but that’s where it’s narrowed down too it’s almost reminds me of an exhaust rumbling against a frame but we narrowed that and the lifters out

Silly question, but are your mounts in good shape? Torque arm and upper engine mount? Maybe theres some ticking coming from them if they have collapsed

Mounts seem to be in satisfactory condition and seem solid not a lot of engine movement when idle, will try and attach a YouTube link to the noise, it can only be heard properly from inside the cabin as the loud injectors drown out the sound, if you put you ear to the phone you can hear the chattering just about

Seems exhaust related to me.
A mate of mine did replace his pulley, but it wasn’t making a noise. You could only really tell it was knackered when you gave it a tap with a hammer.

Seems exhaust related to me.
A mate of mine did replace his pulley, but it wasn’t making a noise. You could only really tell it was knackered when you gave it a tap with a hammer.
This was my first ever thought but upon inspection we couldn’t not determine any noise from the manifold, I thought it was knocking on the frame being a toyo but it wasn’t

mine seems to be making a similar noise, most noticable between 2000 and 3000 rpm, not that loud on idle, but is really p***ing me off as well, and cant seem to receive a proper diagnose as all the mechanics say to wait until it gets louder, did an engine flush and an oil change today and still there, also, have first heard it after I had the manifold exchanged to a blown flexi, then changed the accessories belt and the timing belt with the dephaser and the water pump and its still there, also checked with the accessories belt taken off and still there, so most likely not the crankshaft pulley itself as it would most probably be at least less noticable when having no belt on it, anyway, let us all know what it is when you come to having it localised / fixed, also did hear one opinion as this could be the injectors, but not possible to check without replacing all at once and have no spare one laying around

mine seems to be making a similar noise, most noticable between 2000 and 3000 rpm, not that loud on idle, but is really p***ing me off as well, and cant seem to receive a proper diagnose as all the mechanics say to wait until it gets louder, did an engine flush and an oil change today and still there, also, have first heard it after I had the manifold exchanged to a blown flexi, then changed the accessories belt and the timing belt with the dephaser and the water pump and its still there, also checked with the accessories belt taken off and still there, so most likely not the crankshaft pulley itself as it would most probably be at least less noticable when having no belt on it, anyway, let us all know what it is when you come to having it localised / fixed, also did hear one opinion as this could be the injectors, but not possible to check without replacing all at once and have no spare one laying around
Appreciate your input on this, again same issue I have had is I have been told to wait till it gets louder, well it has over time. It’s definitely on the drivers side as we’ve had the car on a ramp trying to locate it. I have order a pulley anyway just to give it a try. It’s been on my list to do the injectors as well at some point, will keep you updated.

Thanks Denners, looking forward to you having it fixed :blush: Just trying to locate it yesterday, fixed the accelerator so it kept 2500 rpm, could best hear it through the front right fender, ear to the wheel :smile: all except the pulley is new on that side of the engine, so guess, that actually might be it... I ruled the aircon compressor and alternator out since could hear it just the same when the belt was off just to check

Should be getting done in a week or two so will let you know it’s not a cheap part so I’m certainly hoping it works

I just had my belts done 10 years and 125,00km. The original crank pully was actually starting to come apart. Luckily had a light weight one ready to go in anyway but yeah it does happen.

I just had my belts done 10 years and 125,00km. The original crank pully was actually starting to come apart. Luckily had a light weight one ready to go in anyway but yeah it does happen.
Thanks for clarifying that I have a new one ready to go on so hopefully that sorts it. Did you have a similar type of noise?

Thanks for clarifying that I have a new one ready to go on so hopefully that sorts it. Did you have a similar type of noise?

I run uprated mounts all around, solid adjustable top mounts as well and intake and non resonated exhaust etc. If it was making a noise I wasn't hearing/feeling it over everything else lol. :tongueout:

Sorry completely forgot to update, so I have had this done, despite the old one being perishing quite badley the noise has become quieter but it is still present so no luck