Crankshaft Position Sensor

Serious breakdown at high speed a couple of days ago traced to a faulty crankshaft position sensor. Engine totally died and just managed to get safely off the road. Obtained a new genuine Renault part from Fischer Brothers (aka Renault Parts Direct) for £65 all in and took less than an hour to replace (F4R engine, 2010 with 92k on the clock). Well worth replacing if you have an older Clio as a safety precaution.

Out of interest how did you diagnose it down to be the crank position sensor to be at fault?

The man from the AA. Engine totally died doing 60mph+, could have been nasty if I was on the motorway. Looked at the forum and a lot of people say take it out, clean it and put it back. For the sake of £65 quid just replace it, far safer.

Is there any damage on the old one as I’m surprised that the sensor would fail on its own.

No visible damage but the man from the AA stated that when they get old, the coils surrounding the magnet in the sensor break down and when they get hot they fail, which is exactly what happened with mine.

No visible damage but the man from the AA stated that when they get old, the coils surrounding the magnet in the sensor break down and when they get hot they fail, which is exactly what happened with mine.
That’s good to know as the other reason they fail is when the clutch starts to disintegrate. How many miles has your Clio done?

92K, had the clutch and the gearbox done three years ago by Jade Developments due to the usual second gear problems.