Coolant color

Howdy all Clio RS lovers..

I've recently joined the RS club by importing a grey clio 197 from southern france to norway and got a question about the coolant.
The coolant that's currently in the car seems to be of the red type and got a freezing point of -20C. Temperatures here can sometimes drop below this during the winter so this ain't good enough. Renault here in norway says they only use the green/yellow type. Believe it's called Glaceol RX (Type D). I've read somewhere that the red coolant is better for the aluminuim top of the engine so i'm a bit clueless of what to do.
What kind of coolant are other people here using? Would it be ok to use the green/yellow one? I really don't want any harm to this awesome car.. :jump1:

i use genuine renault coolant - green/blue colour

the red stuff is OAT coolant (organic acid technology iirc) and not used in renault engines but that doesnt mean it cannot provide the required protection

you need to look at the inhibitors and the protection it provides but lower freezing points are usually dictated by anti-freeze:water ratio/%

Last edited:
Red/pink coolant in mine. Supposed to be green, but I have 'heard' that the green colour changes to the colour of mine when it's due a change? Not sure how true that is?

Red/pink coolant in mine. Supposed to be green, but I have 'heard' that the green colour changes to the colour of mine when it's due a change? Not sure how true that is?

If that's true i might aswell just clean the system and add a new one to be sure.. :smile:

if it does change colour with age then this is a new one on me!

it usually dis-colours due to ageing but doesnt change to a totally different colour

i got 5ltr of pre-mixed 50% strength coolant from renault as per the engine spec/requirement

there are "universal" coolants that will mix with both green/blue and red coolant

Alright fox, guess i'll just go with renaults advice and change the coolant. Need some synthetic gearbox oil aswell, it's pain to shift when cold lol..

Love the car so far tho, when hitting 5500rpm u just have to smile and laugh at the youngsters in the "cool" audies. The car is very rare in norway, few knows what kind of car it is :driveby:

How about this stuff?

If you google 'Motul INUGEL OPTIMAL ULTRA' on motuls site is a pdf on what to mix it at for the tempratures you describe.

Not at all answered the question there.

Glaceol RX type D provides protection to a lowest of -21 celcius (taken from the bottle). So not much better than what you have.

Valvoline Zerex G-05 protects to as low as -37 celcius. I'm sure there are other extended life coolants that will go that low. Usually the bright orange coloured stuff.

Not at all answered the question there.

Glaceol RX type D provides protection to a lowest of -21 celcius (taken from the bottle). So not much better than what you have.

Valvoline Zerex G-05 protects to as low as -37 celcius. I'm sure there are other extended life coolants that will go that low. Usually the bright orange coloured stuff.

anyone can read off a bottle...

as for answering the question the op didnt state how low he wanted the coolant to go - i gave him some pointers on what to ues and why there are different colours etc

ethelyn mixed at 50% will protect to approx -30

in the end its up to them to decide on what/strength/colour/make to put in it is it not?

Last edited:
I should probably be good if i mix it to handle -30c. Maybe they make two kinds of Glaceol rx type d, the one in the shop here can handle temps down to -37c.
But i heard the greenish coolant "eats" up the aluminuim top of the engine over the years so i thought maybe that was the reason i got a red/orange coolant.

Hi McT from another arctic country!
I have yellow/green genuine Renault coolant in my 197. They did change it in cambelt/waterpump service. That should handle -35c okay. We have every winter over -30c temps here several weeks. Do you have pre heater in the engine already? I have calix boiler element in the block water gallery & defa termini 2100W interior pre-heater in the center console.
What kind of winter tyres you are using? I have Nokian Hakkapelitta 5 studded tyres:

medium.jpg

A-V

Last edited:
U got the same color as me,had to look outside to see if my car was still there lol.. Alright i'll have them change the coolant to the green/yellow one along with the 40k km service.
I've not installed any pre-heater yet, it's on my schedule tho. Got to do some anti rust treatment on it aswell, all the damn salt they throw on the roads here will kill the sexy thing. Got some conti wheels that seems to do the job well