Conti CS3's VS Conti CS5's

Makaveli160

Paid Member
Im desperately in need of four new tyres, im hearing mixed reviews about the cs5 with a couple of people saying there not as good as they have a harder tyre wall and have a little less traction??

Ive always loved the cs3s as there what ive been used to since owning the car, but have been told there being discountinued and the cs5 is the replacement.

Now i can get the cs3s for £107 each delivered then get them fitted, or just go with the cs5 all round for about £120 a tyre.

I dont want to do anything to the car that has a negative affect as i love the way it handles.

Is there much difference?

Thanks

Have you actually had experince with the conti 5s though?

Ive read some peoples opinions on here saying there worse but as there a premium tyre firstly and secondly a newer version of the conti3s so how can they be worse??

On the other hand some people say there better?

Well i cant find conti 3s in stock at any tyre place in my area (only to order from the internet) so i have just gone ahead with the conti 5s. As they have worked out cheaper then ordering then having them fitted.

Would just like an opinion from someone who has had them fitted to a 197 or 200?

Thanks

CS5's are fine, they have got plenty of good reviews so they must be! I'm not an expert so I'd suggest go for them, see for yourself. They're naturally the next generation of the CS3 and they'll be easier to get hold of.

I personally found them 'sharper' than the 3's, although mine were borderline illegal when I changed so any new tyre would feel better! If you try to pull away quickly from standstill I find there is a lot more wheelspin however around a corner they're spot on, like the 3's.

Just for the record, mine are the XL with a load rating of 91. There is the an 87 too, same as the original CS3's. I didn't specify, it's just what the garage ordered in for me!

Thanks for the reply, exactly what i thought to be honest, i cant see there being an amazing difference between them, but started reading reviews on here and got worried, whereas everywhere else there rated very highly.

To be honest i have been running four bald tyres and the cs3s are still amazing so brand new cs5s should be an improvement.

As for the wheelspin issues i rarely pull away like iv stole it so should be fine.

Aslong as they handle the b-road blasts up to the same standard ill be happy.

I took mine for a B-road blast last night and to be honest, the CS3's on the back let go before the CS5's on the front! But then they have got a 'fun' amount of tread left haha.

I find the 5s better than the 3s, if they were the same price then I'd definitely say go for the 5s but as it'll cost you an extra £50 to get the 5s I may be tempted to stick with the 3s

Just thought id give some feedback on the sport contact 5s and i have to say im very impressed so far.

Bare in mind my csc3's were quite bald for awile, but obviously having fresh rubber has made a huge difference, braking is sharper and corners as good (maybe better) as before, no evident wheelspin even on spirited pullaways as others have stated, but different conditions and all that i suppose..

Glad i went for the 5s over the 3s now, only covered 50-100miles so far but loving the fresh feeling, as its not nice with minimal tread in freezing conditions

91 w XL

The stiffer sidewall (but to be honest there isnt a massive difference in the feel) personally i think sharpens up the steering a tiny bit, but like said tyres before were very low on tread.

But so far impressed, looking forwards to putting some more miles on them and pushing alot harder

91 w XL - they seen to be the most common around

The stiffer sidewall (but to be honest there isnt a massive difference in the feel) personally i think sharpens up the steering a tiny bit, but like said tyres before were very low on tread.

But so far impressed, looking forwards to putting some more miles on them and pushing alot harder

I went from SC3's tp SC5's and i think they're better. Admittedly, if they're cold and you drive spiritedly they dont have quite as much grip but thats only for first few minutes. Once they're a bit warmer they are brilliant. Because of the harder side wall they slightly less 'give' on turn in means there's not quite so much feel (very minimal difference) but the the mid corner grip is better! Definitely recomend, would not go back to SC3's. SC5's all the way!