Company car

Jesse James

Platinum Member
Hi everyone

I have been offered a company car at work. As far as I am aware I can have anything that is reasonable (I am not sure how much you guys know what reasonable is)

My question is what would anyone recommend? I have a 197 cup now, but I can't warrant having 2 cars.

I don't really drive that far 10 mile each way to work and sometimes out to clients within 50 mile radius of work

Any help would be great.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My choices for a company run about would be:
VW Golf GTD or Skoda Octavia vRS - think they're both the VAG 2.0L TDi so a nice strong punchy engine for motorway work, cheap to tax and run. Also respond well to a cheeky bluefin remap to make them a bit more fun ;-)

If you wanted something a bit more premium then:
BMW 2 or 3 series with a punchy diesel engine and x-drive
Audi A3 or A4 again with some sort of performance diesel

I'd stay away from anything petrol in fairness. Diesel is far better for a workhorse car, better on the motorways and cheaper to both tax and run. So I wouldn't be going for anything too lairy personally. If you want fun you could always do your bike test and get a nice bike for the summer/weekends!

Can you not take a monetary option instead of the car? Thus keeping the clio and having assistance towards maintenance?

That's what I do - take the cash allowance and it's non-pensionable so I get that little bit extra to spend each month (though pension is very important - I do pay into one!). Also, if you leave then you're without a car and back to square one.

Reasonable depends on your job title really doesn't it. If your on a basic salary then I can imagine a brand new BMW/audi will be out the question? Maybe I'm just assuming here.

What about a new focus rs? Not sure what sort of money they are though.

as said before, it depends what your firm class reasonable as, and whether they are going to purchase or lease the car.

Where I work, we get all our cars on a 24 month lease agreement. They are all Mercs/BMW/Audi etc. one of our managers has a Audi Q7, but then again, his salary is over £100k a year.

Can you not take a monetary option instead of the car? Thus keeping the clio and having assistance towards maintenance?
I will be honest I think it has been offered because my car is loud and had blue wheels which is not to everyone's taste

That's what I do - take the cash allowance and it's non-pensionable so I get that little bit extra to spend each month (though pension is very important - I do pay into one!). Also, if you leave then you're without a car and back to square one.
Mate I work for a financial advisors and I deal with company pensions agreed we should all save for the future [emoji6] I am sure we all say it but I can't see me leaving