Coilovers

MikeLYR27

Supercharged Platinum Member
Platinum Member
For peeps that have a 197/R27 with cup suspension and have gone to coilovers. Just wondering how the ride was compared to standard? Does it bounce more, rattle more, more difficult to handle on really uneven backroads? I want to do it so the car is a tad lower and also for track, but dont want to ruin a great car. However i do want the cup racer look and would like it stiffer.

How have you got on with them?

Doesnt really carry much relevence to what your asking but why dont you just get some H&R lowering springs? cheaper if your not really looking to risk the comfort, as I've HEARD that its a really rigid ride with coilovers but I havent ever been in one with coilys so I wouldn't know, but lowering springs aren't too bad

kev has my old H&R springs on his cup and thinks they are fine.

i have kw v1 coilovers on mine but never had cup pack and its not harsh at all.

Na done lowing springs before and never would again, felt bouncy as hell and didnt fill me with confidence tbh.

Yeah? fair enough, how much do they lower the car by then? How do you find your coilovers over bumbs n humps?

mine rub but thats because its silly low and ive got 45et wheels :smile:

H&R springs lower more than Eibach.
H&R are about 35 front and 40 rear.
Eibach are 20 i think.

I have had both Coilovers and lowering springs on my car and both work pretty damn good.. Only reason i went for the coilovers was due to being able to lower the car alot further. Each would have held their own on a track and the lower you go the bumpier it will get.. Suppose it all depends can you handle driving your car when its bouncer lower?

Coilovers on the GFs clio and i think its a comfier ride than when it had Eibach lowering springs. Obviously we're talking mk2 here but just for a comparison.

I have H&R coilovers. Not driven a Cup chassied car, but they are VERY rifined. I've never looked back, been on a good 18 months now.

I have H&R coilovers. Not driven a Cup chassied car, but they are VERY rifined. I've never looked back, been on a good 18 months now.

Was gonna go for these as k-tec assured me they are a very capable kit, but i liked the chrome on the kw's lol, terrible.

They are bloody awesome. I had a set on the 172 cup and 182 i had, but these ride better still (and they are very good) Perfect, from what i remember, they dont ride too much stiffer than the o.e set up. All the passengers i've took out cant believe it when i tell them its on Coilovers

Ah no good for me lol, i like my cars to have a stiff setup. Im getting the KWs setup as stiff as they'll go without unsettling it over country roads.

The roads around here are quite smooth and freshly resurfaced so i can get away with such a setup.

too stiff and i'll be upset with bumps etc :smile:

H&R's are more taught, but very forgiving. Perfect for where i am on the Welsh borders :smile:

Wales eh, bin there a few time. Country roads are epic.

Perfect place for a 197, you must have some fun in that.