coilover choice/advice

adamgas85

Gold Member
I have recently bought a Clio 200 cup pack for a track day car and a bit of general running round. Looking for some advice from people who have had experience with coilovers listed below or any other brand in budget.

I'm unsure of what to go for as I'm finding mixed reviews or old reviews.

To narrow it down my budget is around £1k (its a second/third car) and the car will get a proper geo setup.

Requirements are it needs to handle best for track use but adjustable dampening for road use in case it's a bit harsh for B roads and not fall apart after 6 months.

Billstein B14's seem popular but I think they will be too road focused for what I want. £705 (no top mounts)

Gaz gold
- tick the box's and I have had these on other cars I have owned with great results - but I see some Renault forums saying they fail? I appreciate anything can fail but is this a common issue with the 197/200 Gaz gold? £1014 from larkspeed (with top mounts)

AVO RT
- don't know much about these. Had some years ago and they didn't last well from memory. £1200.00 Kam racing (with top mount)

Yellow speed -
Seem to have good reviews but know very little about them. Don't have rear coilovers (separate damper setup like stock) £800 with top mounts

KW -
Had these on other cars, no issues but nothing special IMO, abit soft for track.. Would like to try something different.

Not looking at spending AST/Nitron money unfortunately. I have Ohlins on another car which are great so I do know you get what you pay for. I would just like the best for my budget on this particular car.

I have cup shocks currently on the car with cup springs, it came with some whiteline lowering springs which I could fit if needed. (been told these springs are harsh?!) Any experience with this setup?

Thanks in advance.

I've been running KW V2's for a few years now, and they are superb, but a bit above your budget. TBH I really rated the cup shocks and H&R springs I had on the car before the KW's.

I am pretty sure Larkspeed ones do not come with top mounts, so you might want to confirm that. As it's £1150 with top mounts from @R27WTF (who owns Supreme Motorsport)

Here is a thread discussion you should read, YSR are £705 + postage from KamRacing

AVO no one runs on here, but heard good things on the Facebook page from Matt West (he used to have a Meglio on here, he has a Megane now) and he rates them highly.

Many run Gaz Golds and love them, but of course a lot more than the YSR coilovers.

Reactions: adamgas85
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Suj - That is good to know that ppl do use and rate the Gaz gold, I used to like mine on a previous car. £1138 on Ktec atm.

Is there much of an advantage of having a proper coilover on the rear rather than a spring and separate damper setup?
As far as I can see the YSR doesn't do a coilover rear for a 197/200. correct?

Would you recommend the heavier l/b springs for my intended use with YSR setup.

Yes mate lol. They are what I was wanting tbh and if people use and rate them that will be good enough for me. I also wanted rear coilovers.

The YSR do look good for the money no doubt.

That is a good price on the Gaz Golds.

I have just had some delivered and installed - they took forever to arrive due to the factory shutting down over Christmas and COVID.

What spring rates did you go for?

I am not in a major rush but hopefully won't take too long.
I didn't get a choice and there is no option on Ktec's website either for spring rate. I would guess I will have the 500f/350R l/b option. As it looks like the 550/400 l/b option is if you request it. I can play around with springs at a later date if they aren't ideal.

I have no experience with the car so I have no idea on spring rates with these shocks atm.

I am not in a major rush but hopefully won't take too long.
I didn't get a choice and there is no option on Ktec's website either for spring rate. I would guess I will have the 500f/350R l/b option. As it looks like the 550/400 l/b option is if you request it. I can play around with springs at a later date if they aren't ideal.

I have no experience with the car so I have no idea on spring rates with these shocks atm.

Whole point of going Gaz Golds is the fact you can get custom spring rates, I thought you got them via Larkspeed? If so it's worth speaking to people who have them on track, I'll tag a few names to get what spring rates they've ordered, better to get a baseline spring that others have got on well with.

@RSRowe @PITA @Big Ben @burrellbloke @EthanMenace @LiamP (I think Liam has lol)

Reactions: RSRowe
Yes I did get them from larkspeed. Like I said there was no spring rate options on their website.
I’m open to suggestions but it’s not the only reason I have chosen them as you can swap springs on any coilover.

Yes I did get them from larkspeed. Like I said there was no spring rate options on their website.
I’m open to suggestions but it’s not the only reason I have chosen them as you can swap springs on any coilover.

I think they will message / expect you to specify spring rates or they'll give a "default" maybe, so yeah hopefully the tags above chime in with what they use so you can call up and request those spring rates

The rates were suggested as track car rates - although it will still do some road miles.

I have only done a few miles in the car since the weekend when the Gaz Golds went on but they don't seem too stiff to me. The firmness setting on all of the dampers is set pretty high at the minute.

Me and the track baguettes (5 of us in total) are on 600/350

The car is just about bearable on the road, but not a pleasurable experience in the slightest.

I’d probably buy KW :grimacing: :tearsofjoy:

At the very least I’d maybe drop 100lb off the front and rear to get a bit more compliance on the road.

It’s always a compromise. You either get something mint for the road or mint for track. There’s no inbetween in my opinion.