Clio197 questions

Hi people,

I have read a lot of comments about tuning the Clio197. I have a few questions, hopefully someone can help.. I removed my 2nd cat and replaced it with a straight pipe + addad a flat K&N filter to the car. It sounds great, but I have a bad flat spot on 2500rpm just like other members complain about.

1. Did I improve high rev bhp or not at all with these 2 mods or make the car worse overall?
2. Can this flat spot be mapped out by RStuning and will the (remap,decat and filter) together add more performance?
3. Is there any tips for someone who did the decat and other mods I did?

Thank you

I haven't done many mods myself, but all 197s have a small flat spot around there. However, decats are supposed to improve BHP but they supposidly have a negative effect on tourque. Which is not very good for the flat spot. I haven't got any experience of this myself, but there are a lot of people on here who have remaps and the flat spot has been reduced.

which filter have you put on it mate,

air filter or panel filter ?

if you have put a K&N air filter on you WILL loose some bhp.

I installed the panel filter, not the round one. When they remap the car do they take into account the other mods and get overall more bhp out of it?

will you get more torque out of the remap with the decat and panel filter together ?

It depends what type of remap you get, a custom rolling road remap will take mods into account.

Yea, you'll get more torque from the remap, this is one of the main reasons people remap the 197

ok thanx, but will I get added performance with the decat and the remap from lower refs straight through or will the decat still mess my car's torque up even with the remap ?

I only removed the 2nd cat on the pipe, not the manifold one.

You get a custom rolling road remap and what else ? what remap won't take the mods into consideration so I don't make that mistake..?

1. Did I improve high rev bhp or not at all with these 2 mods or make the car worse overall?

Actually...you made the car worse. The Clio's engine management system requires the data from both lambda's - the one before the 2nd cat and the one after - to perform best. The EMS is configured to work with that info - calibrated to the lambda readings that it gets with the stock cat in place. With the decat the exhaust gasses change and even if the EMS can run the car without that info it can't run the engine at it's best. Older cars with 2 lambdas (one before and one after the cat) would show the "check engine" light if you'd remove the cat and the EMS would go into limp-mode. Imo the Clio doesn't show it because the precat does a fine job but you can see the effects of the EMS which is not able to run the engine like it should - flatspot, loss of power (think there is a dyno chart on the forum which proves this) and some who decated their Clio also reported that the car was poping/banging through the exhaust. Imho that's because the car's EMS doesn't get all the data / right data it needs and that's why it's overfueling - safety reasons.

3. Is there any tips for someone who did the decat and other mods I did?

Imho go through Raptor6767's topic or Simoxmino's. If I would tune the Clio for more power I'd go for a catback system and leave the stock cat in place cause it's really not that restrictive. Remap and a panel filter. Never give it the beans when it's cold and when it's warm push it :thumbup1:

Imho the main problem of the Clio is it's weight. Clio RS with Recaros weights about 1300kg and that is a lot. Don't really believe the F4R is down on power from the factory and tbh no dyno-run can't prove this - the only genuine test would be a cold chamber test etc. The best benchmark imo are 80-120km/h or 100-200km/h times. There you can see how the car performs on real road conditions.

Last edited:
ok, but won't a remap take the decat into account and add more performace + torque?

Most likely a remap can resolve the issue of a decat. Will it add more performance + torque? Probably yes but the main question is would it add more with the cat in place? Backpressure etc.

I have a Miltek 200cell sport cat.

No loss of torque at low rpm, but I did lose 7bhp just with the exhaust (178bhp vs 185bhp) - however I did gain some bhp after the remap (190bhp)

honestly mate the only way you get gains from decat is to do head and cam work as it equals out the loss of back pressure with torque from the engine. even though ive had the engine work done ive still been advised by a motorsport expert to keep the cat on until we go turbo.

Clio with Recaros and half a tank of fuel weighs 1250kg, not 1300. I know this coz we have a weighbridge at work.

Clio with Recaros and half a tank of fuel weighs 1250kg, not 1300. I know this coz we have a weighbridge at work.

Is that a cup or FF? What spec is it? I'm assuming that with options such as climate control and the xenon's with the the whole lamp wash system would add a little extra weight.

Ok, I got my car remapped ar RSTuning in JHB. (South Africa), yes there's a RSTuning branch here. Our Altitude is 4100+Feet above sea level and we only have 95RON fuel. So our cars perform bad up here

So I have a decat pipe and a K&N filter (panel filter). Before the remap my car made: 103KW. After the remap my car made 111KW, I felt the difference. The average Clio RS makes 98-103KW standard up here in JHB.