Clio RS F1 won’t start

Hi everyone new to the forum and was hoping for some suggestions on my non starting F1.

6 weeks ago I drove the car into my garage and there it sat until Friday. When I came to take it out it wouldn’t start, the engine is turning but won’t fire up. Over the weekend I have charged the battery and checked all the fuses under the bonnet to eliminate the obvious. I have no faults or engine management lights showing on the dash and my generic PCM ECU fault diagnostic tool has flagged nothing from the OBD.
I noticed after multiple attempts at starting that I couldn’t smell any fuel which I considered odd as it should have been flooded. I lifted the back seat and checked that the fuel pump was getting power which it isn’t. Using a power probe I tested the fuel pump which did run but I have no way of proving the pressure it is producing. I reconnected the fuel pump and it primes correctly when the ignition is turned on but does not run when cranking. As a test I tried separately powering the pump while cranking the car and it still will not start. I have now run out of ideas so any help would be a welcome bonus.

Was the battery low when you tried to start it? Not uncommon to have a duff battery at this age, do a search plenty of posts about it... Other faults could be crank sensor or UCH (but that's often associated with water from blocked scuttle drains). Good luck :thumb:

On the left hand side of the inlet manifold you can access the fuel rail connection. Remove the quick connect elbow and put the end into a container then crank it to see if you’re getting fuel.

Thanks for the advice Foxspeed

Do you know if a failed TDC sensor will stop the fuel pump from running on cranking?

I have read through some previous threads and will get under the car and try a good clean first and measure the sensor resistance.

Thanks for the advice Foxspeed

Do you know if a failed TDC sensor will stop the fuel pump from running on cranking?

I have read through some previous threads and will get under the car and try a good clean first and measure the sensor resistance.

it should still prime when ignition is switched on but cannot think it it does or not once cranking....been a while since i worked on 197/200!

There is quite a bit of electrical info in the How to section with regards fuses, relays for the power switching unit that controls the fuel pump you could find the wire and give it 12v directly to check pump function and connectivity.

Reactions: Foxspeed