Clio 4 Wheel on a 197

Hi All Knowledgeable People
Has anyone attempted to fit a Clio RS 4 200 steering wheel on a Clio RS 3 specifically a 197. Does it fit firstly, how do the sizes compare and what functionality remains i.e. cruise control functions? Guess also there is the 4 airbag issue too with connectivity.

Keith

I've began to look into this too as I prefer the MK4 wheel but haven't found much information yet.

Happy to be corrected, but knowing how much Renault like to recycle bits in the parts bin, I assumed that the connectors would be the same as the MK3 and it would close to a plug and play swap.

It has been done a couple of times, how much work is required I'm not overly sure. I know there is some small modifying to the wiring required, I don't know what needs modifying but I do know it definitely won't be much to get it working. As DS said they like to recycle parts so if they were the same it wouldn't be a surprise, the connectors on both do look identical although I couldn't say if they are or not.

Your best bet is to grab a cheap wheel and have a nosey at it and see the differences, if any. Or I'm sure @turkie172 may have access to wiring diagrams for both so you can put two and two together.

Hi All
Thanks. Been offered a Clio 4 wheel from a guy who currently has it on a Clio 2 track car. Main issue apart from fit is for the 4-3 airbag connection/function as the 197 is my sons and safety is paramount, not as worried about the cruise bit. (I've got a 265 and would love one of those to fit!)
Probably need advice from someone who has done it - anyone?

I worked in the car industry and things normal people think will be ok to change can be dangerous. The airbag system is specially designed to deploy for an average person in a particular position and deploys at 100-200MPH and you hit it as it deflates so if your too close and get struck as it comes out it will injure you and the airbag system calculates a lot if information impact direction, car speed, seat position and if a seat is being used. So if you start swapping parts change seat height steering wheel height and angle (beyond normal adjustment) even the seat itself can make the system less effective even dangerous the reason the Recaro seats are so high normally is to put the driver in the normal seating position for the safety equipment like seatbelt and airbag system. So check the steering column fitment you might find the steering can rub on the back against the plastics there is a key so the wheel might not fit the shaft as for the airbag I'll help any paid member with wiring diagrams if I have them but I personally would retrim the steering wheel or buy a used one made for the car by the time you get it working canceling indicators etc. a retrim would be easier and cheaper.

• Wow
Reactions: Beany and Addison
Thanks Turkie
Agree on your sentiments. Had already planned to retrim the wheel but was given that option, but the safest way will be an original 197 wheel.