Clio 4 200T - To remap or not be remapped

Hi all,

I have a Clio 4 200T cup since 2013, bought new, and I am a bit undecided whether I remap or not the engine. I think it as a nice power, for a turbo engine likes to rev a lot, but it misses a bit spice... Specially because the chassis and the brakes offers a lot of confidence.

So, what I want to know based in your experiences, is:

1 - After the remap will I notice the extra power?
2 - Does the famous Getrag gearbox handles well the extra torque? Is it safe to use sport and race modes specially with launch control?
3 - Do you recall any other downsides?

Thank you all!

1 - After the remap will I notice the extra power? Yes, definitely.. Normally around 30bhp gain.

2 - Does the famous Getrag gearbox handles well the extra torque? Is it safe to use sport and race modes specially with launch control? Yes, mines been fine since I had it done in September last year... Was nervous at first but hammered it about in all modes with launch ect and no problems at all.

3 - Do you recall any other downsides? Personally with the RS Tuning map my fuel economy dropped a fair amount but different people with other branded maps havent had the same problem and to be fair you dont buy these cars with fuel economy in mind.

Hi all,

I have a Clio 4 200T cup since 2013, bought new, and I am a bit undecided whether I remap or not the engine. I think it as a nice power, for a turbo engine likes to rev a lot, but it misses a bit spice... Specially because the chassis and the brakes offers a lot of confidence.

So, what I want to know based in your experiences, is:

1 - After the remap will I notice the extra power?
2 - Does the famous Getrag gearbox handles well the extra torque? Is it safe to use sport and race modes specially with launch control?
3 - Do you recall any other downsides?

Thank you all!

Hi.

1. You will notice a nice performance increase with better fuel economy pending on the calibration. I have an RSTuner by Fastchip map that has probably added around 30bhp at the flywheel. My car also has a BMC panel filter, resonator and muffler delete and runs 195 HP at the wheels or just over 230 HP at the flywheel. This is not my first map though. I originally was running a Bluefin map that caused the car to go into a limp mode and threw various ECU codes.

2. With my current map I have encountered no issues thus far with the gearbox , however, I have noticed a slight slip occasionally with the car when using launch control. As to be expected, The car also has more wheel spin when using launch control and spins the inside front wheel when given a good boot out of a corner in race mode (which I love).

3. Apart from the issue as mentioned with my first map, I have not yet encountered any other issues.

In my opinion and from my own observations with my car, I would highly recommend getting the car mapped. The car is transformed and most calibrations take into account tolerances Renault have placed with the gearbox.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Another thing that is bugging me is how RS Monitor will behave after remap, does the turbo pressure appears correct, etc?
Do you have RS monitor?

By the way, I heard that the new Clio trophy has a bigger turbo to make possible the 220hp, as you know a bigger turbo can make last the fun a bit more in the red line. In your cars, after remap, did you felt that, in the higher revs, the car is somewhat less enthusiastic?

Thank you guys!

Well I can just echo the above comments. The drive is brilliant on the RS Tuning map. I get 35mpg average, but using it like a loony it drinks fuel as it does with the standard map. I too had a Superchips map and had lots of problems. Paul at RS tuning has done a few of these. Mine was back last week and he has got some more power out of it. 237bhp and 260 ft lb, the power delivery is very smooth and you can drive it any where in the Rev range. Personally I think the car goes better in auto mode, I don't need race mode it goes really well in normal and sport. Gearbox is fine so far, it has to be done really. RS monitor runs out of numbers but I use an obd reader for videos so you get the boost reading. All the other gauges still work as normal on the monitor.

I was informed this morning that the Corsa I've seen at Elvington ten of the best is RS tuning, a corsaru! ! Scooby engine. Some car that.

Why? 5750 rpm is peak power, but most cars peak around that figure, the idea is that when you change up the car falls back into peak power. I don't change up anyway the car does it for me [emoji106]

Why? 5750 rpm is peak power, but most cars peak around that figure, the idea is that when you change up the car falls back into peak power. I don't change up anyway the car does it for me [emoji106]

Your peak power is at 5.5k. After that it starts to tail off but is level up until 5.75KRPM. You can use that to your advantage taking in to account gear ratios and have it drop back in to the start of the flat line before 5.5K so you're constantly producing peak power, rather than tailing off to 6500rpm :smile:

Theoretically, your boost starts to drop at 5000RPM so you've really no need to hit 6500RPM which is around an 8BHP loss when you could have changed at 5750RPM and gotten back in to that flat line.

Alternatively, if the ratios are longer than I expect, you can change at 6000RPM but I assume because it's a RenaultSport, the ratios are shorter.

Even so, the person who mapped that car did a cracking job, even though there is a tailoff, it's extremely small!

Last edited:
The car is quite tall geared, this helps the economy. Gear 6 at 60 is about 2500 rpm, we are still in second at 60 I think. The huge level line of torque helps in all these gears. To be honest I'm too busy hanging on, to notice.

I haven't even had it max out, it's doing 130 in 5th...... Then my runway is too short for anymore

Last edited:
The car is quite tall geared, this helps the economy. Gear 6 at 60 is about 2500 rpm, we are still in second at 60 I think. The huge level line of torque helps in all these gears. To be honest I'm too busy hanging on, to notice.

I haven't even had it max out, it's doing 130 in 5th...... Then my runway is too short for anymore

You're correct there. If you're chasing numbers though, probably a good idea to investigate that. Do you know how much the RPM's drop on gear changes by any chance?

No not chasing numbers anymore, I wanted the car mapped smoothly and as usable as possible. This is it as far as I'm concerned. I just want a nice driveable, reliable car that averages 35mpg that handles well, has 4 doors, as they are really useful for putting stuff in, and a flappy paddle gearbox, like the big cars.

Thank you Renaultsport [emoji1]