Clio 3 1.6L Resonator Box

I recently bought a 2007 Clio 3 1.6L and noticed that the resonator box was missing so the air intake hose leading to air filter box has two holes on the top and one underneath.

Is it advisable to drive the vehicle like this or should I seal the three inlet holes until I've decided whether to buy the resonator box or not. The resonator box fits into the top two inlets but what fits into the bottom inlet? This is the resonator box for my vehicle so what fits in the bottom inlet?s-l1600.jpg

Just to follow on from the above post, would it do any harm if I seal the three inlets and not use a resonator box?

The modus has the same box as log as the air filter is in place it should be OK but it will be sucking in hot engine bay air it will be there for a purpose so best to get another one as it is used in other engine sizes and models it should be cheap.

I thought of closing the three inlets and fitting a cone filter where the air hose clips into the front of the engine and then remove the stock air filter from the air filter box. The resonator box is quite expensive here in South Africa even second hand ones.

The resonator fits into the two inlets on top of the air duct but there is another inlet underneath so I'm not sure what that be for, any advice.

Apparently there is a second resonator box that fits underneath the air duct as well which I don't seem to have in my engine bay so I received a quote for the K&N cold air intake system which is cheaper and I'm contemplating tossing the resonator box for a cold air induction system such as the one in the pic.

What are the pros and cons of this system. This is the Clio 3 K&N induction kit for the Clio 3.

1659488588831.png

The complete air resonator system will cost R1200 ZAR and the K&N will cost R600 ZAR and will save me on replacing stock air filters in the long run.

Noise is a factor but I can live with it as long as my consumption is good and the performance is not affected.

ITEM 1 is about £28 in the UK new. Find those part numbers used somewhere friendly to you like Germany or Spain I don't know how hot it gets or how much rain falls but with an induction kit it traffic it is sucking hot engine bay air and if there is a lot of flooding dusty roads it will be getting wet and dirty very quickly.

The rest is up to you good luck

Well I decided to remove the top resonator box, plug the the two inlet holes and the rear inlet with duct tape and duct taped all the miniscule holes on the air hose duct and it ran perfectly, quiet and economical with the stock air filter. Cold air is drawn from the stock inlet and passes unrestricted to the air filter box and the throttle body so I guess the purists of these resonator boxes will have their bit to say about the harmonics etc but surely the answer is to have an unrestricted air flow of cool air which is denser than warm to hot air coming from a cold induction system.

So this is what I did and it all cost me was roll of duct tape and the car performs well. Now I'll wait for the fundi's to tell me how wrong that mod is however the K&N kit works very much the same excepts draws in warm to hot air.

Attachments

• 20220804_093322.jpg
    20220804_093322.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220804_093333.jpg
    20220804_093333.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4