Clio 220 Trophy

CallorFold

Platinum Member
So after 3 fun filled years with my Clio 197, I finally decided it was time for something new...

I originally started out looking at early 200T's and then somehow @Micah got involved :tonguewink: and pointed me in the direction of the later models with the updated interior. After looking at a few early Trophy's I decided they weren't radically different enough to justify over an early 200, so ended up way over budget looking at the face-lift Trophy's. A few days later after much man-math, the proposition of a newer Trophy actually looked more affordable (this pretty much includes me banking on a half decent re-sale value in a few years time due to my generally quite low mileage, and it being a Trophy model). I always felt I made a mistake with my 197 by not spending the bit extra to get into a 200 and didn't want to make the same mistake again.

Enter a quick call to Renault enquiring about one I'd seen for sale fairly locally and a visit was booked. Test drive went well and any concerns I had over the auto were diminished. I was completely sold on the car as a package. Some negotiating and a few days of buzzing around in anticipation and here she is;

Registered in Jan 2017, wearing just 7000 miles, with a Service already completed and wearing what look like spanking new Michelin Pilot Sports on all corners, my new (to me) 220 Trophy -

a27xxh.png

Somehow my insurance company have decided to REFUND me £60 (can't imagine that happens too often!) after changing my policy over from the 197, and VED is costing half as much as before - all neat little savings included in the math :smirk:

First impressions pretty much boil down to me being chuffed to bits with it! 40+ mpg on the cruise home down the motorway was nice to see, stop start seems to work well on the daily commute, and the autobox is simply buttery smooth. It's just effortless in the way it picks up speed, I'm having to be very careful to keep an eye on the speedo as hitting 30-40mph occurs far quicker than one would expect when being really quite gentle on the throttle.

I'll admit, I've tried launch control already, albeit just the once. Fun as it was to hear the exhaust popping away before releasing the brake and then feeling it squirm away at full chat, I really cant see any sort of usefulness in it other than to "show off" the feature to friends.

I've no immediate plans for the car, mostly due to being a bit skint! But over the coming months there's a very short list of a few bits and pieces I'd like to grab;

- Metal foot rest for my left foot, that now has very little to do in life!
- Foam panel filter (PiperX or ITG or similar)
- Team HEKO Wind Deflectors
- Some fresh Carbon effect-3D Gel plates - just think they look cool
- Center Silencer delete (cheap place to start on the noise front)
- Potentially a full exhaust (something deep and rumbly) depending how I feel about the silencer
- Remap a bit further down the line when the Warranty comes to an end
- Some 220T Forum stickers if any ever get made!

Other than that, keep it fresh, look after it, enjoy it, and remember to put the disklok on!

I finish work early afternoon tomorrow so have myself a little drive planned where I can drop it into RS Mode and have a play with the paddles and see if some smiles can be had :grin:

Last edited:
this is what i like to hear..yet another positive feedback on these..im sure Micah has his finger in this..he is good this way :tongueclosed:
on a serious note,car looks beautiful..hope she serves you well for a very long time..

Reactions: CallorFold
Lovely looking car. Good to see you’ve stuck with Renault.
I think the mk4 trophy are brilliant and would love to own one myself.
Happy motoring...!

Reactions: Pav and CallorFold
Lovely looking car. Good to see you’ve stuck with Renault.
I think the mk4 trophy are brilliant and would love to own one myself.
Happy motoring...!

Yeah it was a toss-up between a Meg (likely a 265) and the MK4 Clio. I'm totally sold on the RenaultSport brand after my 197, they really know how to make a good fun car. After going and viewing a Meg (admittedly I didn't drive it), it just didn't feel much newer than the Clio interior wise and I really wanted to make the jump to something that felt more modern. The 220, especially being a Trophy, has a nice spec. Maybe next time I'll make the jump into more power > spec.

Reactions: Big Ben
this is what i like to hear..yet another positive feedback on these..im sure Micah has his finger in this..he is good this way :tongueclosed:
on a serious note,car looks beautiful..hope she serves you well for a very long time..

Haha he did indeed. He needs to get in touch with Renault and get some sort of commission deal sorted out!

He's been a great help with my seemingly endless list of questions which is massively appreciated :thumb:

Reactions: Pav and Micah
Been a pleasure, always happy to help. Can’t beat a glacier white Clio to be fair. Hope you have a cracking afternoon drive tomorrow, will be very addictive I’m sure!
Have you noticed how closed in you feel? When I was last in a Mk3 I couldn’t believe how much window/visibility there was!

Have you noticed how closed in you feel? When I was last in a Mk3 I couldn’t believe how much window/visibility there was!

They were actually some of the first words out of my mouth when I first went to view/test drive. As soon as I sat in the drivers seat the car felt smaller inside. I don't think it helps that all the interior is all quite dark and then the tinted windows as well. In practice, I actually feel like there's more width up front when there's 2 people sitting in the car. 2 adult blokes in the front of the 197 often resulted in knocking elbows when going for the gears. Feels far less shoulder-to-shoulder in the MK4.

So.. first proper HOON thoughts.... this car is EPIC!

I'm actually genuinely shocked at just how much quicker than my old 197 it feels. That probably has a lot to do with the extra Torque (I've not driven a turbo car for any real length of time before) but my god does it make a difference.

For driving, proper fun driving, it has to be RS Mode + knock the gear selection into manual and go full paddles. Dropping into 2nd just to bury it and bang 3rd with a cheeky exhaust pap on the up-shift is completely addictive. The 3rd gear pull is unreal it goes from something very sensible to completely outrageous in seconds. Center silencer delete has moved right to the top of my spending list I think.

Steering rack is considerably quicker than my 197 was, brakes feel sharper too which surprises me as my 197 was on MTEC discs with decent pads and was running the Brembo 4 pots up front so I can't really explain that. Maybe better weight distribution or lower centre of gravity in the 220 or something along those lines.

Body roll - can't say I really noticed any. A bit of an unfair comparison maybe since my 197 was on standard springs rather than the CUP set up.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports - it's not a brilliant comparison as it was 2 different cars, but I really didn't feel like these had much more to offer than the Eagle F1's I had on the 197. I was expecting them to feel like the car was completely on rails but once you're carrying some speed into a corner the car will slide out, not uncontrollably so, but enough to let you know you're carrying a bit too much speed. Granted the road surface was a far cry from pristine tarmac but given the price and reviews I did expect a tad more from them.

And I think the best thing of all - the RS mode button. This really does feel like 2 different cars in one. I always found in the 197 being stuck behind someone doing an annoying speed leaving you sort of in between 2 gears constantly slowing right down and speeding up again would drive me absolutely bonkers and often lead to some rather questionable overtakes... in this though, I couldn't care less. Flick the RS Mode off again, gear selector back into auto and just bimble along effortlessly until they shift out of the way and then get straight back on it again. This probably says more about my driving than the car but I feel considerably more relaxed driving it and that's a good thing!

I'll have to see how I feel towards the end of Trophy ownership but at the moment I'm struggling to see why I'd want to go back to a manual given the choice :think:

always found in the 197 being stuck behind someone doing an annoying speed leaving you sort of in between 2 gears constantly slowing right down and speeding up again would drive me absolutely bonkers and often lead to some rather questionable overtakes.

I can relate to this! Down to 3rd, up to 4th, back down to 3rd, COME ONNNN! Normally find this driving around town, I can rarely leave it in 3rd and the car be happy pottering around at 30mph haha

Pleased you’re enjoying the new wheels though, I’m still yet to be in a 200T, the world of extra torque and a turbo I’m yet to experience!

I can imagine seeing 40+ mpg was also a bonus! Few pennies saved against the 197 if you’re doing a lot mileage!

So.. first proper HOON thoughts.... this car is EPIC!

I'm actually genuinely shocked at just how much quicker than my old 197 it feels. That probably has a lot to do with the extra Torque (I've not driven a turbo car for any real length of time before) but my god does it make a difference.

For driving, proper fun driving, it has to be RS Mode + knock the gear selection into manual and go full paddles. Dropping into 2nd just to bury it and bang 3rd with a cheeky exhaust pap on the up-shift is completely addictive. The 3rd gear pull is unreal it goes from something very sensible to completely outrageous in seconds. Center silencer delete has moved right to the top of my spending list I think.

Steering rack is considerably quicker than my 197 was, brakes feel sharper too which surprises me as my 197 was on MTEC discs with decent pads and was running the Brembo 4 pots up front so I can't really explain that. Maybe better weight distribution or lower centre of gravity in the 220 or something along those lines.

Body roll - can't say I really noticed any. A bit of an unfair comparison maybe since my 197 was on standard springs rather than the CUP set up.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports - it's not a brilliant comparison as it was 2 different cars, but I really didn't feel like these had much more to offer than the Eagle F1's I had on the 197. I was expecting them to feel like the car was completely on rails but once you're carrying some speed into a corner the car will slide out, not uncontrollably so, but enough to let you know you're carrying a bit too much speed. Granted the road surface was a far cry from pristine tarmac but given the price and reviews I did expect a tad more from them.

And I think the best thing of all - the RS mode button. This really does feel like 2 different cars in one. I always found in the 197 being stuck behind someone doing an annoying speed leaving you sort of in between 2 gears constantly slowing right down and speeding up again would drive me absolutely bonkers and often lead to some rather questionable overtakes... in this though, I couldn't care less. Flick the RS Mode off again, gear selector back into auto and just bimble along effortlessly until they shift out of the way and then get straight back on it again. This probably says more about my driving than the car but I feel considerably more relaxed driving it and that's a good thing!

I'll have to see how I feel towards the end of Trophy ownership but at the moment I'm struggling to see why I'd want to go back to a manual given the choice :think:

Bloody brilliant write up there mate! I'm so glad you've actually had the chance to drive it in anger - I can highly recommend the silencer delete, you'll wish you'd have had it done sooner, which doesn't give you much regret considering it's only been on your drive for a few days!
RS mode really helps change its behaviour, just be careful if you put it in reverse as I nearly put mine through the house getting it on the drive one time :worried:
Interesting note on the MPSS, I'll now look at PS4's if they're cheaper in that case (I didn't really have anything to compare them to) as I have a feeling Spa might wear the current set out slightly!

I don’t like reading this.... I was previously swayed towards a mk4 earlier on then I fell back in love with the mk3. I’ll admit I did have a quick flirt with auto trader looking at trophy’s!

I’ve been in @Chris ’s 200t and had brown trouser moments :smile: as the torque is right there when you want it!

It sounds like you’ve made the right choice and in an ideal world i’d love both... here’s to winning the lottery eh

RS mode really helps change its behaviour, just be careful if you put it in reverse as I nearly put mine through the house getting it on the drive one time :worried:

That sounds slightly terrifying! :flushed: Bet you're counting your lucky stars no damage was done

Interesting note on the MPSS, I'll now look at PS4's if they're cheaper in that case (I didn't really have anything to compare them to) as I have a feeling Spa might wear the current set out slightly!

Yeah I'm going to keep an eye out throughout the year and see what people are opting for tyre wise. 205/40/R18's seem to carry premium and dont have many tyre options available. 215/40/R18's seem to carry more choice a with cost saving too and I can't imagine there would be any fitment issues. (Both of those statements are based on what I've seen on BlackCircles). A rough British B Road might not be the best basis for comparison - maybe they'll really show their worth on track.

I don’t like reading this.... I was previously swayed towards a mk4 earlier on then I fell back in love with the mk3. I’ll admit I did have a quick flirt with auto trader looking at trophy’s!

@Beany that's how it begins, then you exchange a couple of messages with @Micah and before you know it there's a Trophy on your driveway! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::smirk:

Reactions: Beany and Micah
great review buddy..enjoyed reading that..i have been lucky regarding being in a 200t and a trophy and must say i was impressed..even more when i could compare my old 197 and megged one..

i know what you mean by great brakes though..i couldn't get my head round this..how are they better than our brembo?anyway,they are brilliant..hope she makes you smile for many more miles to come :thumb: