Clio 200 Valeo Projector Headlights dipped beam height adjustment

littleg78

Paid Member
I upgraded the reflectors on my 2012 RS 200 for the OEM valeo projectors over a year ago, and the height of the dipped beam’s been rubbish ever since… it’s finally annoying me enough to do something about it.

When the adjustment is at the lowest setting they’re practically pointing at the floor… when it’s at its highest setting they’re still super low… if I go over a speed bump they won’t even light up the number plate on a car infront. Great for oncoming traffic but dangerous for me!!!

Hoping someone knows if there is any manual height adjustment on these headlights - would be awesome to see a picture or diagram before I attempt to tackle.

I would check the bulbs are seated correctly first, then follow @turkie172 's instructions in the thread above.

Reactions: littleg78
I fitted the bulbs when the headlights were out of the car so bulbs went in perfectly

I thought the diagram in that thread was for a 200T headlight assembly - if it’s the same on the 200 then looks like it should be pretty straight forward!

Probably won’t tackle for a couple of weeks, but wanted to be sure before pulling the bumper off!

I fitted the bulbs when the headlights were out of the car so bulbs went in perfectly

I thought the diagram in that thread was for a 200T headlight assembly - if it’s the same on the 200 then looks like it should be pretty straight forward!

Probably won’t tackle for a couple of weeks, but wanted to be sure before pulling the bumper off!

Not sure if the 200 lights are the same, maybe @turkie172 can help further.

I would check the headlights as there is a major flaw with clio headlights if they were shipped without motors there is a very good chance the inside of the headlight has three points of contact 2 to the back of the housing and the third to the motor, if it was shipped without the motor fitted the weight of the internal assembly and with the normal throwing of a parcel about can snap one of the legs making it impossible to tilt the angle with the motor for the light beam height. Other than that the bulb not fitted in the correct position (flat) or the motor not properly mounted in the it's leg clip the good thing is that a broken mounting leg can be glued quite well. I have had about three genuine headlights shipped to me damaged 1 new and two used the other problem is the spike that locates into the wing it pushes out through the pakaging and is normaly snaped off during shipping. The vertical adjustment screw is on the motor top I think it is a 5 or 6mm hex put the cars internal adjustment is set at the higest position before you go and adjust at the headlight.
1639088373475.png
1639088410999.png
1639090000071.png
1639090677920.png

I would check the headlights as there is a major flaw with clio headlights if they were shipped without motors there is a very good chance the inside of the headlight has three points of contact 2 to the back of the housing and the third to the motor, if it was shipped without the motor fitted the weight of the internal assembly and with the normal throwing of a parcel about can snap one of the legs making it impossible to tilt the angle with the motor for the light beam height. Other than that the bulb not fitted in the correct position (flat) or the motor not properly mounted in the it's leg clip the good thing is that a broken mounting leg can be glued quite well. I have had about three genuine headlights shipped to me damaged 1 new and two used the other problem is the spike that locates into the wing it pushes out through the pakaging and is normaly snaped off during shipping. The vertical adjustment screw is on the motor top I think it is a 5 or 6mm hex put the cars internal adjustment is set at the higest position before you go and adjust at the headlight.
View attachment 148412
View attachment 148413
View attachment 148414
View attachment 148415
Thank’s for taking the time to write this up - really appreciate all of the advice, exactly what I needed!!!

It’s a long time since I fitted the headlights, but will definitely go back and double check all the mounting points before adjusting anything.

If you grab the bulb mount and within reason try and use that point to see if the internal assembly is properly secured would be the easest way to check the adjustment motors have a little technique to remove and fit you turn the motor and make sure you clear the lock tab then you dont pull back on the motor but move it looking down in an arc up or down to get the ball head out from the plastic clip if you see a picture you will understand whats needed. If you have a genuine valeo headlight and if they follow the colour coding the wires are blue for reflector light, red for halogen projectors and yellow for Xenon I only say this because Xenon headlights use different motors the connector points backwards on top but I think your safe as I dont think clio 200's had Xenon options but might have had headlight washers as part of cold climate country pack. You see xenon motors are active and adjust the headlight height from sensors on the front and rear axels the lights move up and down when you start the car one time as a form of self diagnostic. The driver with Xenon headlights cant adjust them inside the car for safety because the lights are so powerfull but I think the law has F**ked up now as a loop hole, as more powerfull LED lights dont need headlight washers and I find myself more and more blinded by LED lights at night as they are set so high so automatic leveling must not be needed, I think the law is based on electrical power and not the brightness of the bulbs.
1639137934451.png
1639139152824.png

I have a 197 with reflectors and my beam pattern is this.

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_171900.jpg
    IMG_20211211_171900.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24