clio 200 dampers - on 197

Does anybody know if the clio 200 lux dampers (softer by 15% over the 197) will fit the 197 lux. If so what are the part numbers?

FYI - my car is mainly a road car and the roads in my area suck, bumps and divots everywhere!

Last edited:
I think you'd be wasting your time and money, probaly wouldnt get that much of a better ride.

Maybe try going to a custom suspension company like Gaz and asking em to make up some softer rated springs?

I think you'd be wasting your time and money, probaly wouldnt get that much of a better ride.

Maybe try going to a custom suspension company like Gaz and asking em to make up some softer rated springs?

What has the greater impact on ride quality, springs or dampers?

I think the suspension setup is slightly different between the 200 and the 197 so not sure it is possible

Dampers will make life alot better, think about it, damp adj coilovers are MUCH more comfy than non adj.....and the only difference is the damper adjustment.

i think dampers will have a bigger impact on comfort especially under compression on uneven surfaces, the sring rate cant vary by much as it would just cause the suspension to top/bottom out over bumps. unfortunatley its the more expensive way of going about it!

Dampers will have the greatest impact.

Also I have read that the damper mounts are exactly the same between 197 and 200, though am awaiting confirmation from renault.

Subject: Renault Clio 200

Reference: 1-171242825

Dear Mr ######

Thank you for contacting Renault UK regarding your Renault Clio 200

I understand from your email that you require a confirmation that the dampers from your Clio 197 will fit your Clio 200.

I can confirm that these parts are interchangeable and that the dampers from your Renault Clio 197 will fit your new Renault Clio 200.

If you require assistance in fitting these part to your Clio 200 our friendly team of Renault technicians will be happy to help you in any way that you require. Our mechanics can offer advice on what to do and will even fit the parts for you if necessary.

You can locate your nearest Renault dealership by logging on to our website www.renault.co.uk and searching using your town or postcode.

I hope that this answers your questions. Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me, or one of my colleagues at Renault Information Services on 0800 52 51 50.

Kind Regards

Terri Proctor

Information Services Consultant

Renault UK Ltd.

www.renault.co.uk

may work out cheaper to buy some full adjustable coilovers like the kw v3.

The softest setting on most coilovers will not be soft enough for me.

Also you will get most of the benefit without changing springs. Dampers are the greater insulator of road imperfections not springs.

Toro

very true, but unmatched springs and dampers is still not as effective, and bearing in mind you will need struts off etc, for the price of springs on top you may as well do it.

to be honest, sounds like you bought the wrong car.

All said and done I am forgetting about it and just running with the standard dampers. Too much hassle for potentially little gain is the overriding consensus.

Thanks for advice, except for advising me that i bought the wrong car :smile:

I really enjoy my 197 but given the roads in my area it can get a wee bit frustrating when I am in a less than good mood. If you lived in Australia you would understand, we are a big country with a small population making road maintenance low priority.

Maybe not the wrong car just the wrong country?
8)