Clio 197 front brake issue

Hi chaps, sorry I don't come on here much!

Basically, I have got an issue with the front brakes on my Clio. On both front calipers, one of the pads isn't coming onto the disc. One side of the caliper is working fine, however the other side doesn't appear to be working at all.
Therefore, one side of the disc is clean as it should be, and the other side is covered in ****.
The car has been to Renault for them to check it out. (I have roughly 6 months warranty remaining)
They have said that the calipers aren't actually seized, but they aren't working as they should because I havent cleaned the brake discs. Hmmmm.

I need new discs and pads to solve the issue.

Fair enough, but I'm worried that I'll chuck a load of money at it, and I'll have the same problem in a few weeks/months time!

I suppose I could let Renault do the work, at a cost of over £500, but I'm looking to save a few quid and do the job myself.

Opinions / suggestions please guys. :smile: Jake.

do what? Clean the disks? eh?

I think you probably mean that the caliper is now working ok, but because the disk has been damaged, it needs replacing before it will do it's job correctly.

Disks, pads and pad retainer pin set (if you dont get them they will have seized up) and you should be fully functioning again

And that little lot should come in at well under £500 too... If you're still in your warranty then surely your dealer should be sorting this anyway!?!

ohh another rare occurrence of front pads seized (in a sarcastic tone) :s

just needs a strip/clean/lube

the fronts arent anything special to take apart if your good with spanners :foxspeed:

TBH Si you don't even have to be good with Stanners - I managed it LMAO!!

I think the general agreement is to strip and clean/lube every 6 months, or more frequently if you are into that... :wink:

Oh and don't be paying to do it either, especially not £500!!!

Damn right. Even when I had mine done at Renault it was £300. That was new front discs and pads and fluid and strip/clean rears. All labour in that too.

But I wouldn't pay it again now I can do it myself!

Thanks guys.
Yeah, I'm used to playing with spanners and cars. :wink:

Just it's a bit annoying as my argument was that these discs and pads still have a good life left in them (or would have) so I don't see why I should be forking out for the replacements. (Or at least not all of the cost, anyway!)

If it was just wear and tear then that's fair enough, but it's not exactly.

The conclusion is:
I'm not paying for Renault to replace them. Gunna get a few bits from K-Tec and do myself.
Looking at the KTR Black edition discs (dimpled) for the front, along with the Ferodo DS Performance pads, and also some DS Performance pads for the rear, as they're pretty low too.

That comes all in at £313 for the parts.

I see I may aswell upgrade for a little bit extra.

Sound like a good choice? :smile: Thanks again, Jake.

Thanks guys.
Yeah, I'm used to playing with spanners and cars. :wink:

Just it's a bit annoying as my argument was that these discs and pads still have a good life left in them (or would have) so I don't see why I should be forking out for the replacements. (Or at least not all of the cost, anyway!)

If it was just wear and tear then that's fair enough, but it's not exactly.

The conclusion is:
I'm not paying for Renault to replace them. Gunna get a few bits from K-Tec and do myself.
Looking at the KTR Black edition discs (dimpled) for the front, along with the Ferodo DS Performance pads, and also some DS Performance pads for the rear, as they're pretty low too.

That comes all in at £313 for the parts.

I see I may aswell upgrade for a little bit extra.

Sound like a good choice? :smile: Thanks again, Jake.

excellent choice :thumbup1:

Cheers mate, so this is quite a common thing for the standard pads on the 197's then?
Also thanks for the guide :smile:

Yea it happens to ALL of them! Don't get new discs and pads unless they're near the wear limit, a simple clean up using that guide will have your brakes working good as new.

If you do need new discs and pads then I'd go with standard brembo discs (~£90 I think) and some ferodo DS2500 pads (~£130)

I'm a fan of the standard setup, never had any issues with it on road or track.

I've used DS2500 on other cars though in the past and they're a brilliant pad.

Yea it happens to ALL of them! Don't get new discs and pads unless they're near the wear limit, a simple clean up using that guide will have your brakes working good as new.

If you do need new discs and pads then I'd go with standard brembo discs (~£90 I think) and some ferodo DS2500 pads (~£130)

Well, I definately need new pads all round as the rears are very worn through wear and tear and on the offside front, one pad is like new, whereas the other has about 5mm left on it.

I'm not convinced the discs are totally knackered either. They just have a build up of brake dust/road grime etc where the pad hasn't been coming onto the disc fully. I'm sure it would come off with a bit of elbow grease!

I just fancy some new discs too, for added peace of mind. Plus the KTR black discs look cool ;/

Think I'll stick with the Ferodo DS performance pads though, as they're a good upgrade over standard, and approx the same price too :smile: