Clio 197 flywheel

Raptor6767

Gold Member
I was changing my clutch and decided to shave off some extra weight of my flywheel.

Unfortunately, my father forgot to weigh the flywheel before the "operation".

Now, the flywheel weighs approximately <5kg, but I DON'T KNOW ITS STOCK WEIGHT!

Please, can someone find out the weight? TNX!

Hope that the weight has been removed properly so you won't have any trouble with it - structurally I mean. The best way is to remove the material and the most outer side of the flywheel. You get the best gains by doing that. And you have to balance it then but I'm sure you already know this :tongueout:

You got any pic of it? Does the 197 have a DMF?

Hope that the weight has been removed properly so you won't have any trouble with it - structurally I mean. The best way is to remove the material and the most outer side of the flywheel. You get the best gains by doing that. And you have to balance it then but I'm sure you already know this :tongueout:

You got any pic of it? Does the 197 have a DMF?

It's balanced, and the weight is removed from the outer side.

Will upload them when I get home, I'm on my mobile...

Let us know how you find it mate, when you lighten a flywheel the engine will loose some of its momentum so you may see a difference when going up hills

Let us know how you find it mate, when you lighten a flywheel the engine will loose some of its momentum so you may see a difference when going up hills

I'm aware of that - but the cams, R3 airbox and a remap should neutralize the loss of momentum because of the flywheel. :smile:

Pictures, as promised:

24102009054.jpg

24102009055.jpg

24102009056.gif

24102009057.gif

Clio was finished yesterday, didn't have the time to pick it up. Will post results.

The only thing is - i haven't drive the car for 2 months so I think I won't notice the difference...:biggrin:

P.S. But I will try it against my friends who I've raced before.

Last edited:
Does the 197 have a DMF?

Oh, I see I've forgot to answer this - NO, it has a single mass flywheel. Megane has DMF.

Still, haven't got the chance to try out the car, but my dad said it feels great: the gearbox, the brakes, and that he doesn't need more throttle to start the car (so I presume that the mass that has been removed is not too big).

The thing that I'm interested in is the revving - is it now faster at high rpm's...I shall see tonight when I get back from work.

Hmmmmmmmhhh.....don't know, don't really know if there's any difference...I wish there is - I even dare to say I can feel the car reaching revs faster...or is it placebo? :confused1:

I shall see when I try it out with my friends...head 2 head...

BTW: The clutch is working like a charm :thumbup:

Seems like every bit on the Clio is pretty well made cause almost every mod gives very small gains :001_unsure:

ps. forgot to call Furlan. Will do it today asap :tongue_smilie:

Seems like every bit on the Clio is pretty well made cause almost every mod gives very small gains :001_unsure:

ps. forgot to call Furlan. Will do it today asap :tongue_smilie:

True, true, but every little thing helps.

A thing here, a thing there - and you've got a 14s car... :smile:

Call them, don't mess arround! :smiley:

A mod i've considered myself but will wait to k-tec or similar company brings out an aftermarket lightweight.

Why'd you change the clutch, burn the old one out? Not common for a 197 to kill its clutch b4 the g/box.

Why'd you change the clutch, burn the old one out? Not common for a 197 to kill its clutch b4 the g/box.

:lol:

I'll put the pics of my clutch up later.

The verdict:

After the 5 days and 900km I can say that this is one of the best mods on my car!

WHY?

I can notice the car revving faster than before, but the most important thing - it needs LESS throttle to start moving and before when I gave the same amount of throttle (when driving normal) the car would then suffocate (don't know how to explain it better) for a second and start accelerating - now it doesn't - no matter how much throttle I give the car, it never suffocates.

Great mod, right next to the K&N panel filter (why - the only mod I felt the difference instantly - throttle response).
:thumbup:

You been abusing that clutch or did it just wear and tear?

A great mod to do, cant justify uncoupling the box just to do that though.