Clicking noise when turning slowly to the right

Hey,

As above really, when just setting off or pulling in or pulling out, turning to the right i get sort of like a clicking noise intermitently. Seems to be coming from the front left of the car. Only happens when im going slow and i mean slow, like 5mph or less. Doesnt happen when i am going in a straight line at the same speed.

Any ideas? Car is still under warrenty so might have to take it in.

Its a 197 F1 and its really getting to me!

Thanks guys, all advice appreciated.

couple of things -

driveshaft outer joint ?

a stone or something stuck in the tyre ie a nail !

I hear that noise to. Only when i turn from left to right. It only knocks once, like something is loose. Than is ok.

couple of things -

driveshaft outer joint ?

a stone or something stuck in the tyre ie a nail !

Hmmm had the wheel off today and checked the tyre and nothing.

Wouldn't of thought its the driveshaft as surely would hear it in more of a consistant pattern? This IS intermitant and only when crawling along. To be honest it might just be me being picky but there is a definite sort of click and then another click and then seems to go as i speed up even just a little bit.

Heard it could be PAS just being annoyingly normal!?

I dont get any vibration, any noise at speed, and steering issues.

Im stumped guys.......what about the steering rack issues?

Thanks

Last edited:
yep i have this too along with other dull thud vibration when turning out of junctions etc

also when stationary if i turn the steering wheel to the left it feels all notchy

i have taken it to the dealer twice now and they say they cannot find anything grrrrrrrrr

im taking car for a service in a few weeks and im not letting it leave the garage untill i have the problem diagnosed, then i will take back to dealer to be fixed

Hey guys,

Update really, just found out tonight on the way home its nothing to do with the way im turning, the noise happens whatever direction im going slowly and more to the point it happens everytime i change gear when going slow.

Basically it goes like this......slow speed in first gear, clutch in, select second gear, clutch bites, foot off clutch pedal, then a small click, then nothing and all normal....also happens when going from second into first slowly etc, same noise.

NOW!!! I have just read that this is to do with a switch that allows you to start the car by putting your foot on the clutch and pressing the start button!!!??? Therefore being normal.............!!!!!

dude, try greasing up your topmounts, i know u may think thats a stupid suggestion, but i had a diagnostics done at renault for a similar sort of issue as you, they told me it was track rods an ball joints.
The ball joint did need replacing dont get me wrong, but the rest was ********.
Turned out the topmounts jus needed some grease an i havent heard a peep since :thumbsup:

There are switches on all the pedels. Clutch and brake for ignition and throttle for position and also when you floor it, it has the second bit which clicks off the speed limiter! That's my experience of it anyway, I'm not a mechanic! Lol!

dude, try greasing up your topmounts, i know u may think thats a stupid suggestion, but i had a diagnostics done at renault for a similar sort of issue as you, they told me it was track rods an ball joints.
The ball joint did need replacing dont get me wrong, but the rest was ********.
Turned out the topmounts jus needed some grease an i havent heard a peep since :thumbsup:

Interesting.....how do i grease them. Can it be done without taking the strut off? I cant see it being that anyway surely would get way more noise than what im getting. Its a small click.

i duno mate, my brother did them for me lol.
tbh, youd know if it was what i had, it sounded bloody hurrendous an it was LOUDD.
it defo wasnt a small clicking :/

I had this too (clicking clutch), the solution was to spray silicone lubricant at the plastic "pump" behind the clutch (the one that actuates the clutch bearing) under the dash.

You have to remove a plastic cover that is held in place by 3 plastic clips then spray at the assembly while pumping the clutch with your hand.

It should stop after a few good sprays.

Some things never change - my old Megane used to do this and again, the solution was proper lubrication.

EDIT: I think in RHD models the actual assembly might be on the left side, under the glovebox, on the Megane RHD models the brake & clutch pedals were connected with levers to the actuators on the left side of the car (a cost-cutting measure I presume...)

Last edited: