'Chirp' noise when changing gear at high revs

Jimmy

Good cop
As per the title, I noticed this happening yesterday on the Wales run. It only tends to happen above 6k rpm and when I have been accelerating quite hard. It's when I come off the accelerator and press the clutch. It is very brief and doesn't happen under normal gear changes or when I'm quite slow with the 'off gas/clutch down', even at high revs. Seems to be when the engine has been under a heavy load.

Any ideas what this could be?

Hey Jimmy,
thanks for posting that I was just about to query it on here. The video in the link is the exact noise I get and I was a little concerned. Now my minds at ease.

cheers,
sam

No probs, glad it's helped you guys out.

I think those Wales back roads gave the cars some stick :smiley:

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but after reading some of the threads about engine mounts/torque mounts etc, I was wondering if this noise issue could be related to worn out mounts?? It only happens under heavy loads - i.e. in first or second gear hard acceleration. Could it be the mounts allow excess movement of the engine?

If anyone who has knowledge or experience with the mounts can offer their opinion I'd be grateful :smile: cheers.

One thread said air con pipes through the bulkhead was the problem most likely the engine moving too much
On that note I've ordered new engine mounts and a powerflex insert for the lower gearbox mount.

I did try removing the airbox pipes etc to see if they were rattling but no change.

Just to update, no change after fitting the mounts - My suspicion is it may relate to the starter motor heat shield but it doesn't bother me to look any further

Have all new mounts as well and once it appeared probably years ago its still here, will have the manifold replaced soon, will ask the guys to take a look at the heat shields etc

Have all new mounts as well and once it appeared probably years ago its still here, will have the manifold replaced soon, will ask the guys to take a look at the heat shields etc
Update to my theory - I'm blaming the throttle body, sound seems directly linked, like the motor closing the butterfly/ air rushing through as it shuts.

For sure has stayed the exact same and not got any worse in the time I've had it so can't be anything wrong!